Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

My annual brilliant idea

+10
Stu
Stiff
Nick
dressur
Matto 180
Captain Jack
M77XNE
Rich
Dark Knight
daved
14 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

My annual brilliant idea - Page 2 Empty Re: My annual brilliant idea

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 10:33 pm

PaulMGTF160 wrote:
Rich Stone wrote:That's what the forum is for... to discuss things!

Rich.
a wise man once said

"i dont wan't it to be just a forum based club"
... which is why the club didn't have a forum until 14 months after it was formed. But I would definitely not want our social gatherings to change into 'committee' meetings... all admin and no fun! We've always managed this way before. All our event arrangements are discussed here, the regalia was discussed here and all club announcements are made here, leaving pub meetings free to enjoy the cars and the company. In fact, the forum was set up originally to discuss stuff!!!!

On your soapbox Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 31/7/2008, 11:09 pm

Rich Stone wrote:
PaulMGTF160 wrote:
Rich Stone wrote:That's what the forum is for... to discuss things!

Rich.
a wise man once said

"i dont wan't it to be just a forum based club"
... which is why the club didn't have a forum until 14 months after it was formed. But I would definitely not want our social gatherings to change into 'committee' meetings... all admin and no fun! We've always managed this way before. All our event arrangements are discussed here, the regalia was discussed here and all club announcements are made here, leaving pub meetings free to enjoy the cars and the company. In fact, the forum was set up originally to discuss stuff!!!!

On your soapbox Rich

i know i know i was just stressing that since this would need to be sorted sooner then spending 30 min at the next meet would be worth it, after all it is for a good cause! Very Happy

Last edited by PaulMGTF160 on 1/8/2008, 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  M77XNE 1/8/2008, 12:53 am

Come'on lets not rant eh, whatever happens, which ever way it happens it WILL happen. If some people want to discuss it at the pub, fair enough, if people want to discuss it on here, fair enough.

Let people to as they wish!

My rant is over now! TY!

Maxine!
M77XNE
M77XNE

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 2:16 am

You're right Max. Let's concentrate on why we're doing it, not how. I could have the whole calendar artwork ready by the end of this week if it was wanted... But it needs to be a masterpiece. We need to sell as many as we can, so that means advertising through the F Register, Z Reg, MGCC and MGOC, maybe even MG Enthusiast. I'm going to start making noises at possibly getting it sponsored so every penny can go to this worth cause.

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 1/8/2008, 2:27 am

Rich Stone wrote:We need to sell as many as we can, so that means advertising through the F Register, Z Reg, MGCC and MGOC. I'm going to start making noises at possibly getting it sponsored so every penny can go to this worth cause.

Rich

Have I not already said this? Laughing Laughing Dementia must be setting in Buddy.

Now, I'm off to golf tonight and Kempenrit tomorrow. I might be too knackered to talk to you when I get back tonight so stop fighting and squabbling!

Rich, a sample of the artwork for the 10th would, or on here earlier would be brilliant. What about a montage for the first page like we have on the website (without my big belly) showing all the pictures from inside. The monthlu pictures could be an amalgam of different cars or just one person's favourite pictures with the last page the picture of Dee & Maxine?

Just another suggestion to get you all going. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers

Dave
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 2:49 am

daved wrote:
Rich Stone wrote:We need to sell as many as we can, so that means advertising through the F Register, Z Reg, MGCC and MGOC. I'm going to start making noises at possibly getting it sponsored so every penny can go to this worth cause.

Rich
Have I not already said this? Laughing Laughing Dementia must be setting in Buddy.
I was just checking I had covered everyone... but yes, you had suggested it already!

daved wrote:Rich, a sample of the artwork for the 10th would, or on here earlier would be brilliant. What about a montage for the first page like we have on the website (without my big belly) showing all the pictures from inside. The monthlu pictures could be an amalgam of different cars or just one person's favourite pictures with the last page the picture of Dee & Maxine?
My initial thoughts were to have Dee's F on the front page, preferrably with Dee in it too, and the sponsor(s) names too. Of course, our logo would be prominent on the front. Then we have the chosen cars on each page for the months and a year planner on the back similar to this year's one. The montage is a good idea though. I know on commercial calendars they tend to show what pics are inside on the back cover. Maybe I could put them around the edge in a square and put the picture of Dee & Max in the middle. The year planner could be a seperate download like it was last year. I'll see what I can do for a mock-up, although obviously the car pics wont be there. I'll pick some random ones from the collection...

Any other ideas?

Max, any luck with the pics? Could you send the originals to my email?

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 5:11 am

I'm not all that bothered about the design, but I quite like calendars that are black or have some kind of background. Happy with the idea to have the 12 pics around the main pic on the cover which I would prefer it to be Dee's car, as it is an MG calendar after all.

Lets leave it as a 13 page calendar. ie 12 months and the cover, as it helps slightly with the cost.

Rich Stone wrote:We need to sell as many as we can, so that means advertising through the F Register, Z Reg, MGCC and MGOC, maybe even MG Enthusiast.
Cost.... Ok, Not sure I'm quite with it here.... What sort of quantity are people thinking? I'm gonna go back to the 'Limited Edition' idea, and to help that make sense.... 50 calendars means me laying out £400, 100 would cost me £650.... and we need to sell them all..... i'd need my money back pretty quickly as have quite a few expenses at the moment. But would anyone buy a calendar for next year already? If left till later the cost of the calendars will go up.... I say we take pre-orders from SMS members and then find out how many that is. then double it for the order and put them up for sale as limited edition on MG-Rover.org, seeing as Dee was more associated with that than the F reg/MGCC/MGOC/etc. Finally, whatever we buy, we HAVE to sell them all. Better sell 50, than fork out for hundreds and have wasted money tied up in those that don't sell. Bear in mind that if anyone wants a calendar posted out to them the cost would also go up for posting a large package.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 1/8/2008, 5:26 am

Rich Stone wrote:
Thirdly, I feel that the naked thing is a bad idea.
Rich

Dammit - Max and I have spent the day at Grendon Lakes making sure our 'topless' pics were spot on!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 5:28 am

Did you use strategically positioned wing mirrors??!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 1/8/2008, 5:32 am

scubastewart wrote:Did you use strategically positioned wing mirrors??!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Take more than a wing mirror love!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 5:39 am

dressur wrote:
scubastewart wrote:Did you use strategically positioned wing mirrors??!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

So that's why you needed both cars then!!! Laughing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 1/8/2008, 5:41 am

scubastewart wrote:
dressur wrote:

So that's why you needed both cars then!!! Laughing

Don't push your luck!!

Max's dads B looking very swanky with its new interior - all ready for the Welsh Weekender Twisted Evil
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 5:48 am

Have you girles actually booked that yet? You need to do it before the hotel is all booked up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 1/8/2008, 5:57 am

scubastewart wrote:Have you girles actually booked that yet? You need to do it before the hotel is all booked up!

There's a specific hotel? Do tell!!

Just got my card out to book it now
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 6:03 am

Have just posted about it in the Events section.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 6:07 am

scubastewart wrote:Cost.... Ok, Not sure I'm quite with it here.... What sort of quantity are people thinking? I'm gonna go back to the 'Limited Edition' idea, and to help that make sense.... 50 calendars means me laying out £400, 100 would cost me £650.... and we need to sell them all..... i'd need my money back pretty quickly as have quite a few expenses at the moment. But would anyone buy a calendar for next year already? If left till later the cost of the calendars will go up.... I say we take pre-orders from SMS members and then find out how many that is. then double it for the order and put them up for sale as limited edition on MG-Rover.org, seeing as Dee was more associated with that than the F reg/MGCC/MGOC/etc. Finally, whatever we buy, we HAVE to sell them all. Better sell 50, than fork out for hundreds and have wasted money tied up in those that don't sell. Bear in mind that if anyone wants a calendar posted out to them the cost would also go up for posting a large package.
I would hope that if we take pre-orders from SmS members, they would be prepared to lay out some kind of refundable deposit so that you don't have to lay out anything! Also, If we have a design that can go on a single page (photo next to dates), we could cut the cost by having it reversable, ie you work through the first 6 months, then turn the calendar round and work through the rest of the year. This would mean less materials and could also make the printing cheaper as I would imagine they would be able to lay out six months on a single sheet, then cut it. It would be nice to have a spiral bind too. The MGF Register ones are a pain to hang up and quite heavy too. Stew, could you get some prices on that format to see if it would work?

As far as quantities are concerned, we could possibly run a secord or third batch if the demand was there. If we hold back the profit until the final sales, it could be used to fund additional numbers. I agree that we don't want to get too many done at one time, just in case we are left with some.

I'm just fiddling with a sample month now and may be able to get a pdf up tonight...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 6:28 am

Cost of printing double sided doesn't really save anything. They are spiral bound, but with a proper hanger half way along, unlike those rubbish ones that F Reg had last year.

Ok, well I'm happy to place an order, and then place a second order if we are confident of sales, albeit eating into potential profits/money raising, but I'm still wary about ensuring that we don't get lumbered. F Reg still trying to sell the calendars they ordered, and can't even give them away now! Quite like to get DaveD's view on this especially in terms of outlay and risk. As said, I am happy to pay out for say a batch of 100 but would really not want to get any more than that.

Here are the financial workings. Obviously postage to send out individual ones to people would need to be on top and I don't know what that would be at the moment.

A3 Portrait x 100
Base cost £576.00
With Discount £532.80
VAT £626.04
Individual Cost £6.26
Sale Price £13
Total for SMS £336.98
Total for Dee's fund £336.98

A4 Portrait x 100
Base cost £370.00
With Discount £342.25
VAT £402.14
Individual Cost £4.02
Sale Price £10
Total for SMS £298.93
Total for Dee's fund £298.93

This is with quite a large profit margin, incase we get lumbered with any that don't sell. if however they do all sell, then I would suggest in ancrease in the percentage that is donated to the fund for Dee.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 6:52 am

I think you're right with the quantity thing. In fact I would say that 100 is rather alot to begin with. Your initial figure of 50 would make more sense, although I realise the profit per calendar is reduced. But as you say, it's better to sell them all than be lumbered with them. Can you get prices for a lower amount? Also, can you find out how much they are likely to be nearer the end of the year if we had another batch of 50 done?

The reason MGF Reg can't give them away is that it's too late in the year. A major problem with them this year was that the cars were mostly foreign and nobody knew them (Adrian's attempt at boosting euro sales). I've heard many people saying that. The first one was a great success as more thought had gone into the pictures. At least we'll know what their pics will be next year!!!!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 6:55 am

Could I also suggest that our members start sending in their pics now so we can have a look at them?

Send them to photos@southmids-sportsters.org and I'll start a collection!

It would be better not to show them to everyone on the forum as otherwise they'll have nothing to encourage them to buy the finished article as they will have seen them all!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 7:11 am

For qty of 50

A3 Portrait x 50
Base cost £336.00
With Discount £310.80
VAT £365.19
Individual Cost £7.30
Sale Price £13
Total for SMS £142.41
Total for Dee's fund £142.41

A4 Portrait x 50
Base cost £220.00
With Discount £203.50
VAT £239.11
Individual Cost £4.78
Sale Price £10
Total for SMS £130.44
Total for Dee's fund £130.44
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 1/8/2008, 7:13 am

Rich Stone wrote:Could I also suggest that our members start sending in their pics now so we can have a look at them?

Send them to photos@southmids-sportsters.org and I'll start a collection!

It would be better not to show them to everyone on the forum as otherwise they'll have nothing to encourage them to buy the finished article as they will have seen them all!

Rich

It's pics of cars right? I think Wriggly will not be taking part due to extreme scruffiness in that case!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 7:14 am

Oh, I forgot to say, my artwork I'm playing with is A4 Landscape. I assume that will be the same price to print? I can do a portrait version if required...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 7:15 am

Without discounts....

A3 Portrait x 50

Base cost £336.00
VAT £394.80
Individual Cost £7.90
Sale Price £13
Total for SMS £127.60
Total for Dee's fund £127.60

A4 Portrait x 50

Base cost £220.00
VAT £258.50
Individual Cost £5.17
Sale Price £10
Total for SMS £120.75
Total for Dee's fund £120.75
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/8/2008, 7:16 am

dressur wrote:It's pics of cars right? I think Wriggly will not be taking part due to extreme scruffiness in that case!
Haven't you heard of PhotoShop? It's where I live most of the time... Just take a pic of your car in a wonderful location, with not too many complicated reflections, and I can do the rest...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/8/2008, 7:18 am

Landscape is more expensive, but not much. I won't bother working out, or else I'll have worked out every permutation!!! Once you've decided on size/format/qty then let me know and I'll get on the case with an exact quote. I may still be able to negotiate on the prices I have given.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next