Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
My annual brilliant idea I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

My annual brilliant idea

+10
Stu
Stiff
Nick
dressur
Matto 180
Captain Jack
M77XNE
Rich
Dark Knight
daved
14 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

My annual brilliant idea Empty My annual brilliant idea

Post  daved 31/7/2008, 12:05 am

Guys and Gals

I have just had my brilliant idea for the year so pay attention. In order to raise some funds to use as capital, why don't we launch a calendar for 2009 with pictures of our cars, with or without bikini clad or naked women?

We could donate half the proceeds to Dee Walker's nominated charity or any other we think is worthwhile and keep half. It might just sell very well througought all the MG forums such as the Register and .org as we can have Zs in it now too.

What do you think?

Cheers

Dave

daved
daved

Back to top Go down

My annual brilliant idea Empty Re: My annual brilliant idea

Post  Dark Knight 31/7/2008, 12:09 am

you've been watching top gear haven't you????

Dave you could be onto something there i think its a really good idea. However the Bikini models etc not always a good idea as not exactly for the ladies then, but there could be 2 versions, one for the ladies and one for the men.. or just one version that just has cars on it

You going to put this on the org and f forums dave? i think you should!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 31/7/2008, 12:54 am

How about we do it in the style of a WI calendar and have naked owners with their MG's!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave, we could certainly do this as an SMS calendar. As a cost example from a company I have used before it would be about £10 each for small qty of A4 sized, spiral bound or £17 for A3. Less for more. Obviously need to have a mark up on those prices.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 31/7/2008, 1:06 am

Have just checked, I can almost half those prices for a qty of 25 or more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 31/7/2008, 2:05 am

I haven't watched any of this season's Top Gear yet. I have my own annual brilliant idea thank you Laughing

I am not overly known on .org any more and think we shoudl go down the route of decision making first. Once decided we could get a proof (short) version to allow for advanced orders. Stu and/or Andy (free Safety Fast advert as it partly for charity), Neil (Zs) and Rich should make the appropriate announcements in appropriate areas and Stu and Rich with the MGOC? We could also ask to use Max's Dad's B if we wanted to. And maybe the Star Car and the T Type Question

This is something we need to get sorted on the 10th.

Nude Shocked pictures even WI style would be hard to arrange as we would need a locked down location etc. Laughing but that would be Cool Not Exclamation I was just thinking of using digital photos already on hand or new ones for those who wish to update theirs.

Cheers

Dave
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 31/7/2008, 2:35 am

I quite like the idea of it being an SMS members calendar. We would need to be a little careful as there will be an MGF Register calendar, but by having an SMS one, we would be including all the modern MGs. In trying to wear 2 hats here, I don't want to impact sale of the F Reg calendar too much, but would certainly be something that could help our club and a local charity.

Another idea would be to do a year book. Essex Roadsters did that this year for their 10th Anniversary, but I could very easily lay something out for us and do it at half the price of the Essex Roadsters ones. Might be quite nice to have a 2nd year of the club book and then in 5 years time do it again and see how things have progressed for everyone, and how the club has grown.

I think once Rich has seen this, I could put up a poll to see if we want either of these, and in what format. What I can tell you is that if you have ever had the F reg calendar before, the ones I can get produced are far superior in quality and look a lot more professional.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 31/7/2008, 2:52 am

Well well done dave for thinking that up yourself, like i said great idea!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 3:11 am

Just been reading all the threads so far and so I'll comment...

Firstly, I think it's a great idea Dave. You can have many brownie points for that.

Secondly, don't worry about the F Register calendar. The Esses Roadsters do their own too and I'm sure it didn't affect sales before.

Thirdly, I feel that the naked thing is a bad idea. I wouldn't do it. No-one would buy it if I did! But if we concentrate on getting some really good pics of cars, even maybe photoshopped effects as long as the cars aren't altered, then it would make a brilliant product.

I played with the idea last year but it was too expensive and we didn't have enough members. That's why I did the year planner instead. However, I did have templates for it. I'll bring them to the pub meeting. I'd love to have the opportunity to do the artworks for this.

Lastly, I feel that the cars should be exclusively SmS members' cars and restricted to MGF/TFs and Zeds. My thoughts behind this is that the calendars will make a great promotional tool, so we need to show off the cars we represent.

There we go. Some points for discussion!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  M77XNE 31/7/2008, 4:08 am

I think it is a great idea, espcially if the chosen charity is Dee Walker. She was a big part of the MG community and alot of people knew of her or knew her in person. And Dee and Siff were also part of the SMS when it was first starting out.

You would be more than welcome to use my dads B, it now has new cream interiror, with an original walnut dash too! We could park them side by side with dad and I in the middle, or something along them lines. Grendon Lakes is a real nice place to take pictures.

Maxine!
M77XNE
M77XNE

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 4:23 am

Max, your dad's car, although a beautiful example of an MGB, is not a car primarily represented by SmS and as I've already said, the calendar needs to represent the cars the club was formed to cater for. But your car would definitely qualify! Also, we would want to have many different places for the photos, but I agree that Grendon Lakes is a perfect place for some creative photography. Perhaps you could take yours there.

With regards the Charity being for Dee, that is an excellent idea. As you have pointed out, Dee and Stiff came to one of the very early SmS meetings, and stiff even joined up for the brief period he had his TF! We could also put a dedication to Dee in the calendar too. In fact, I'd suggest we could include that lovely pic of you and her together that's posted on .org. That says alot...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  M77XNE 31/7/2008, 4:47 am

Rich Stone wrote:Max, your dad's car, although a beautiful example of an MGB, is not a car primarily represented by SmS and as I've already said, the calendar needs to represent the cars the club was formed to cater for. But your car would definitely qualify! Also, we would want to have many different places for the photos, but I agree that Grendon Lakes is a perfect place for some creative photography. Perhaps you could take yours there.

With regards the Charity being for Dee, that is an excellent idea. As you have pointed out, Dee and Stiff came to one of the very early SmS meetings, and stiff even joined up for the brief period he had his TF! We could also put a dedication to Dee in the calendar too. In fact, I'd suggest we could include that lovely pic of you and her together that's posted on .org. That says alot...

Rich

About the B Rich, its fine.

Dee had a BEATIFUL Tahiti blue f, there is a piccy of it somewhere, could, if wanted to, put that one there.

You are welcome to use any pictures of Dee and I. I am going to get the one from Silverstone, which is on .Org put in a frame and have it in my room. God I miss her!!

Maxine!
M77XNE
M77XNE

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 5:03 am

M77XNE wrote:... Dee had a BEATIFUL Tahiti blue f, there is a piccy of it somewhere, could, if wanted to, put that one there...
That's a fantastic idea Max. I'd love to see the pic of her car. What a wonderful colour she chose!

Hold in there anyway. I'm sure she was laughing with you last Saturday night. That's the spirit she loved and she wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I've been particularly moved by the sheer amount of people paying their respects on different forums and at Fest too.

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack 31/7/2008, 5:12 am

Don't worry bout the whole naked thing Rich, if your that uncomfortable with it, im sure we could all chip in and get you a 'Man-kini' if thats your thing!!!! Laughing Surprised Big eyes!
Captain Jack
Captain Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 5:15 am

... and where were you going to wear your patch? Laughing Aaaargh

Rich

Last edited by Rich Stone on 22/8/2008, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  M77XNE 31/7/2008, 5:17 am

marcus mgf wrote:Don't worry bout the whole naked thing Rich, if your that uncomfortable with it, im sure we could all chip in and get you a 'Man-kini' if thats your thing!!!! Laughing Surprised Big eyes!

Never fear - Stiff has one! And by golly did he wear it well!!
M77XNE
M77XNE

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack 31/7/2008, 5:22 am

LOL! i remember seeing the picture......................and im happy never seeing it again!! Shocked
Captain Jack
Captain Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Matto 180 31/7/2008, 5:37 am

I think it's a great idea too. In fact a few years ago there was an XPF calendar featuring forum members' Fs, TFs and Zeds and it was produced by a guy called Martin Honey who just happens to be based in Abingdon Exclamation He had a ZS 120, moved to a Ford Focus ST and now back to a ZS 180 Exclamation So is also a potential member Exclamation I can send he a PM on XPF to see if would be interested in doing something and to recruit him as and SmS member.

Let me know Admin Team and I'll contact him. Very Happy Very Happy
Matto 180
Matto 180

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 6:12 am

Well contact him of course! What are you waiting for? It doesn't need an admin team to sign up an enthusiastic geezer to the club!

As far as the calender is concerned, he may have some useful contacts for print/production, although I think Stewart is already on the case...

Rich.
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  M77XNE 31/7/2008, 8:09 am

Rich Stone wrote:Well contact him of course! What are you waiting for? It doesn't need an admin team to sign up an enthusiastic geezer to the club!

As far as the calender is concerned, he may have some useful contacts for print/production, although I think Stewart is already on the case...

Rich.

Stewart would be, he is the oracle of everything, bless him!
M77XNE
M77XNE

Back to top Go down

Post  Matto 180 31/7/2008, 8:39 am

Rich Stone wrote:Well contact him of course! What are you waiting for? It doesn't need an admin team to sign up an enthusiastic geezer to the club!

Rich.

Well, I was just thinking of 'too many chefs' Rolling Eyes I'll contact him via XPF Smile
Matto 180
Matto 180

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 31/7/2008, 9:10 am

Hey, I''m always open to potential new sources for things! Go for it. If someone can beat on quality & price then sounds good to me and we'll give them a go. Rich, in terms of designs, there are 2 options. The people I have used have some fabulous templates that we can merge the logo into for every page, and the just pop the photo in, or the opportunity to do our own complete designs that I upload to their server and they then just print them. We could also look to add in notes about key dates, ie when there are known events on that can be marked on the calendar.

Love the idea of doing it combined to raise funds for the collection for Dee. I would suggest we go for a large format A3 with 14 sheets. ie a cover sheet, 12 months and then a back sheet that could perhaps show each all the pictures on one, with the dedication to Dee. I might be able to negotiate an extra discount as it would be for charity, and of course prices decrease with the quantity purchased, but as a club we can't afford to produce too many and have some left over. Would probably be best as a 'Limited Edition'. if it was this format then i would suggest as it would be a high quality calendar that we should sell it for at least £15, and split the money made between our own SMS club fund and the charity, meaning about £3.50 to each for each calendar sold.

Just to show rough price options for producing in different formats of a 14 page calendar....

A3 less than £8
A4 less than £6
A5 Desktop around £4

Also worth bearing in mind that the sooner we do it the more discount I can negotiate, as they are not quite at the busy time for them to be producing them.

Still open to ideas and suggestions tho, both in terms of specials for producing it, design, size/format, etc.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 31/7/2008, 9:20 am

i think this should be a topic for dicussion at the next pub meet if we can get everyone together outsdie the back of the pub by the river we could get some final ideas together, meaning Stew can go away nd discuss a deal then with producers!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Matto 180 31/7/2008, 9:24 am

I've sent a PM to Martin via XPF and invited him to next week's meet - another ZS 180 Mk2 if I remember correctly! I await his reply...
Matto 180
Matto 180

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/7/2008, 5:20 pm

PaulMGTF160 wrote:i think this should be a topic for dicussion at the next pub meet if we can get everyone together outsdie the back of the pub by the river we could get some final ideas together, meaning Stew can go away nd discuss a deal then with producers!
That's what the forum is for... to discuss things!

Stew, personally I would like to go for a totally SmS design as a preference to a template, simply because we have a 'corporate' image that I'd like to maintain through all our products. With templates, it's always going to look like somebody else's calendar with our pics and logo thrown in. Also, we can do fancy stuff and be more creative, and as I'm all fired up to do the complete artworks, there shouldn't be any extra cost. In fact, it may work out cheaper. I'll bring samples to the meeting...

Just another point which also came up when we were discussing the MGF Register calendar for this year, we wanted to add dates to that too, but as the calendar needs to be completed by mid December and many of the events hadn't secured dates at that stage. We can't even mark on our own pub meetings because of last minute changes and clashes. What we can do though, is mark each month with the region that the pub meeting will be in. In order to take any of this further, we need to find out just how many dates are set. I'll contact MGOC for theirs nearer the time and hopefully we'll know the MGCC ones through the committee. We'll also find out if any of the other clubs/forums are planning anything.

Rich.
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 31/7/2008, 6:38 pm

Rich Stone wrote:That's what the forum is for... to discuss things!

Rich.
a wise man once said

"i dont wan't it to be just a forum based club"
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next