Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Advice needed - TF major service I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Advice needed - TF major service

+2
Seb
Dark Knight
6 posters

Go down

Advice needed - TF major service Empty Advice needed - TF major service

Post  Dark Knight 1/10/2008, 11:42 pm

So i bought the car last November and at the time was told it had just had a major service and everything had been done. Everything i said he says yes. I think great, excited as i am i drive off!!!

Well its the annual service time again next month, so thought i'd have a look through service records and there isnt much there, so i called the guy where i got it from. Well it turns out everything was done as part of the 4 year service, except the Cam belt!!! (so not exactly everything then)

So my Cam belt is 5 and half years old and so it the water pump tensioner and coolant. Shocked Shocked

Whch now doesnt surprise me as water pump is a little squeaky from cold for first 30 secs.

So i have rang around for some quotes this morning from 2 recommended garages, Clifton Lane, and Manor Garage (where Simon get's his work done) for changing the 2 belts and tensioner and the water pump then refilling the system

Clfton Lane want £470
Manor Garage want £300

the only difference is Clifton Lane will pressure fill, and Manor Garage use the bleed nipples and the following technique

They fill and bleed the system using the nipples then run the car for 1/2 mile and bleed again. Then run car again for another 1/2 mile and bleed system again. Is this acceptable? They says it there tried and tested way of doing it and that it is very sucessful?
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Advice needed - TF major service Empty Re: Advice needed - TF major service

Post  Seb 2/10/2008, 1:23 am

I have always been impressed with the service provided at Clifton Lane, however £170 just to get the car pressure filled is very expensive!

Can't you get the belts changed and filled at Manor and then pay £40 to get it pressure filled at a later date?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 2:06 am

Seb wrote:I have always been impressed with the service provided at Clifton Lane, however £170 just to get the car pressure filled is very expensive!

Can't you get the belts changed and filled at Manor and then pay £40 to get it pressure filled at a later date?

i see where your coming from but if its filled then its not worth the £40 to get it done again is it?

i assume this place know what there going as there on the list of recommended on the MGCC list!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 2/10/2008, 2:20 am

I agree that it's not worth £170 to pressure fill the cooling system. However, after reading the description of how the other garage do the job, it sounds a bit 'Haynes manual' amateur to me and I wouldn't want mine done that way. Mind you, the price CL quoted sounds like the full major service, which is what you're due now.

Did you ask CL for a SmS discounted price?

Rich

P.S Edited the title so this thread can stay in the tech section...
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 2:36 am

Rich i originally asked for the full service price and they told me it would be £575 then ontop of that there would be the water pump!

Also the problem is all the otheritems related tothe major service were done last time, it was just the cam belts and water pump and coolant that werent, so i dont want to start changing things that have already just been done last year (8K miles ago)

didnt ask for the SMS discount price but did ask if we got 10% of labour. Is that right or do we get other preferential rates Rich?
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 2/10/2008, 2:49 am

Seems a bit weird as the water pump is part of the major service usually. I'll have to have a word with Martin and get back to you on that. It does seem a bit high...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 2:53 am

Rich Stone wrote:Seems a bit weird as the water pump is part of the major service usually. I'll have to have a word with Martin and get back to you on that. It does seem a bit high...

Rich

Thanks Rich, he did tell me the water pump would be extra and not included.

What he said on phone to me was:

ful service its 495 for a non VVC 1.8 and an extra 80 for the VVC engine then the cost of the water pump.

for just the cam belts tensioner and pump, it was 311 for the cam belts. and then 111 plus vat on top for the tensioner and water pump and to refill the system plus an extra half hour (for filling) labour totalling 470

Paul

Last edited by Dark Knight on 2/10/2008, 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 2/10/2008, 3:36 am

Give Tech speed a bell (they run a BTCC team and used to run a couple of MGF Cup cars)they're pretty good and know what they are doing, I think the price would fall somewhere between the two you have already.

Tech Speed Motor Sport
The Mill, Eathorpe, Leamington Spa, CV33 9DE

Tel:01926 632066
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 3:41 am

Thanks Nick , will call them tomorrow as they must be closed now (there's no answer)

Also interested in what Rich comes back and says.

i have another option, but i need to go see them at weekend and see what they say. My mates run a garage and i know some of them of worked on these cars before so gonna speak with them at weekend.
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  c-j 2/10/2008, 9:50 am

Dear Sir Paul (now that you have been Knighted),

I've also taken my F to Richard at Manor Garage for all the jobs I couldn't do myself over the last 4-5 yrs incl. coolant system upgrades, refill bleeds etc & have found him spot on, honest and helpful. I've also been his 'bitch' for a few of the jobs (hope he doesn't mind me telling everyone this!), which has sped things up a bit and helped with my mechanical education! It's a nice place to spend an afternoon! and you can do the road test

You pays ya money, ya takes ya choice...

Hope helps
Chris
c-j
c-j

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 7:32 pm

c-j wrote:Dear Sir Paul (now that you have been Knighted),

I've also taken my F to Richard at Manor Garage for all the jobs I couldn't do myself over the last 4-5 yrs incl. coolant system upgrades, refill bleeds etc & have found him spot on, honest and helpful. I've also been his 'bitch' for a few of the jobs (hope he doesn't mind me telling everyone this!), which has sped things up a bit and helped with my mechanical education! It's a nice place to spend an afternoon! and you can do the road test

You pays ya money, ya takes ya choice...

Hope helps
Chris

Thanks Chris this does help alot!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 3/10/2008, 6:53 pm

Called Techspeed yesterday but there guy who deals with MGs is away till monday so gonna call me back

Paul
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/10/2008, 9:28 am

Paul, Techspeed are very highly respected. but to be honest, Manor garage are filling the system correctly. It's just that vacuum filling is an alternative way. May car has only ever been filled by bleeding it, running it, bleeding it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 6/10/2008, 6:51 pm

Thanks Stew!

Nick you were correct Techspeed came in in between

Rich did you manage to speak to Martin?
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 28/10/2008, 7:48 pm

Ok so its going in tomorrow! I think in the nic of time too, took car out last night and its running very rough when cold. Water pump making horrid noice now until it is warm so the coolant nearly 6 years old so not looking healthy, still lovely and pink but betting seperation with the water and OAT.

Fingers crossed all goes well..... i so hate not being having time to do the job myself!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 29/10/2008, 7:49 am

Mine are crossed for you mate
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/10/2008, 10:07 am

daved wrote:Mine are crossed for you mate

Doesnt matter now as sopt of bad luck looks like i have had HGF so not quite the service now to morrwo but more a check its actualy that and then get quote for repair....

You'll have to look at my other thread...... First thing i did was contact Stew!!!! He's a good en caled me straight back!!!!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down