Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
NZ Calling. Advice? I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

NZ Calling. Advice?

3 posters

Go down

NZ Calling. Advice? Empty NZ Calling. Advice?

Post  uk kiwis 15/1/2012, 8:43 am

Have done quite a few miles now in the (Concerto) Rover 1600 twin carb however it has now unexpectadly (cheap car) developed a water problem....

After a reasonably long drive the overflow bottle empties on stopping the engine and about two litres of water also escapes from aprox below the power steering booster, say right side of engine down low and not visable.

It does not leak at all on a journey and remains ok until the engine is switched off.

I have tried 'Bars leaks' flushed and replaced anti freeze all to no avail. It has a new radiator fitted and no apparent leaks in the hoses. It only leaks from the area described on stopping and only after quite a few miles.

I now suspect the water pump but why does it only leak on stopping the engine after a run? A pressure test showed the radiator cap to be faulty and has been replaced.

Can't quite get my head around what is happening.....any ideas at all?

Dave...

ps: spending the weekend in our capitol city, Wellington, and it is living up to its reputation and blowing a severe gale ( known as the 'windy' city) but clear blue skies and warm. Compact city nestled amongs hills with a great deal of 100 year old wooden houses and commercial buildings. Easy to walk around and many cafe's and interesting sights.

uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

NZ Calling. Advice? Empty Re: NZ Calling. Advice?

Post  uk kiwis 15/1/2012, 5:59 pm

Further to the above. Today (our time apx 12hrs ahead) I was in time to open the bonnet to see a fine spray of water sqirting from an 8m rubber pipe behind the engine and in front of
the carbs.....so.....have bought some new pipe to replace the old which looks brittle and worn. There are three pipes here abouts not sure what they all do?

Hopefully this just may be my problem....

'Be listening again for more stories from the naked (capitol) city".
uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 15/1/2012, 8:51 pm

Glad you got it sorted, I hope you're having a great time over there and look forward to catching up when you are back in the UK .

Last edited by Nick on 16/1/2012, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 16/1/2012, 7:26 am

Having the bleed out pipe leaking wont help the cooling system to pressure correctly but I can't see this being the cause.

How soon after stopping the engines from a journey does it take for the system to pee on the floor? If it takes a minute or more before it leaks then I would say its more of a water pump or faulty thermostat issue. Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis 17/1/2012, 7:47 am

Bit of a time delay replying to this as explained. Thanks for advice guys, I am pleased to report that the new piece of pipe fitted has done the trick. There are however two or three more brittle pipes to change (todays job)

Quite happy with the 'Concerto' Rover etc , it performed well from Wellington to Auckland
yesterday. Not a lot of power to play with but a comfortable ride. The main road (500 miles apx) to Wellington has been much improved due to hundreds of lorries taking most goods like UK. Beautiful rigs, chrome wheels lots of bling on them. Huge logging trucks which can do 100 kph fully loaded no probs, Macks, Scania, International and so on.

uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 17/1/2012, 8:44 am

Pleased to hear it was a nice simple fix for you Smile

Sound slike a good stretch of road that would be ideal for a club cruise, shame that its all the way round the other side of the world, don't supose you fancy bringing it back with you to the uk? Laughing
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis 23/1/2012, 7:01 am

Richard, not sure if this is the right place for this.....

Anyway, if you like the idea of the road Matt you would definately have like the 'Autocross'
laid out on a part of a public park yesterday. Really a huge unused piece of rough ground. About a quarter of a mile of twisting run around cones. Fast and slippery, tail out, no danger.
It looked exciting and would be very hard to stage in UK.

A dozen P/D guys looked on, leaning on their shovels. (periodic detention) Mostly unpaid fines $11,000 etc. Did you get the news of MR Dot.com. Robbing the rich film industry with down loads. 10 million or so a day (downloads) his pad, cars and so on would make you go green. Massers, Rolls Harley's 'Ferr'...oh toys toys...Really, it is only even bigger rich people
protecting their interests. He has hired Bill Clintons lawyer......that should work!

Have fun

DW
uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down