Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Fitting Flexi downpipe I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Fitting Flexi downpipe

3 posters

Go down

Fitting Flexi downpipe Empty Fitting Flexi downpipe

Post  Benjs 9/9/2011, 2:54 am

So as not to hijack Colins post can i have a virtual Matt guide to fitting flexi downpipe, as thats my job this sunday. Oh and anything involving hitting stuff may well end up with the car exploding Shocked (i have form & a slightly heavy right hand)
Benjs
Benjs

Back to top Go down

Fitting Flexi downpipe Empty Re: Fitting Flexi downpipe

Post  Matt Parker 9/9/2011, 3:31 am

Not a problem.

For mems3 cars you will need to remove the engine inspection cover so you can disconnect the lambda sensor connector and also pull the wiring out of the small retaining clip on the front of the engine block(this bit could be done from underneath), as the sensor is in the downpipe and will be removed once the downpipe is off the car.
Basic's really with jacking up the vehicle(don't forget to put a chock/brick etc infront of the front wheels) and support with axle stands. Spray all the fixings and rubber hanger with wd40, you have the 3 bolts on the rear of the flexi pipe to the cat, and then you have 6 nuts securing the downpipe to the manifold. Remove the rear fixings for the flexi to cat join first then remove the 6 securing nuts at the manifold end then un hook the rubber hanger, this way it saves falling down ontop of you Smile
With the downpipe removed from the car you can now get onto the lambda sensor much easier. How ever you will probably find the sensor to be really tight and you could round off all of the edges of the hex nut colar of the sensor itself when trying to remove it. If you have a work bench vice then you will need to clamp in into the vice pretty well, and if you have a blow torch(can buy small gas bottle with torch ends from B&Q etc) use this to heat up the round boss section that the sensor is screwed into. By heating up the boss area it will help it to expland and free the sensor.
The lambda sensor nut is 22mm and you ideally want to be using the correct lambda sensor socket (deep 22mm socket with a cutout down the side for the wires) as this is a single hex socket and is less likely to round off the edges of the sensor hex. If you don't have a socket then make sure you use a good tight fitting 22mm open ended spanner or some good stilson grips so you get a good purchase on the hex to undo the sensor.
Once the sensor is out of the old downpipe it is ideal to put a smear of copper grease around the thread of the lambda sensor when fitting into the new downpipe. Fitting of the new downpipe is straight forward as its reverse of removal other than you will be fitting a new gasket and/or ehxaust paste sealer to the flanges of the manifold, downpipe upper and rear and the cat flange.

Tools required, jack, stands, 10mm socket/rachet and spanner for engine cover, 15mm socket for manifold/downpipe nuts, 15mm and 17mm spanners for downpipe to cat, screw driver/pry bar, work bench vice, 22mm spanner, lambda sensor socket(if possible) large grips(stilsons) and hammer just to knock on all the sockets to the nuts to make sure they are fully flush to reduce risk of slipping off or rounding the nuts off.

Will need maifold to downpipe gasket, downpipe to cat gasket, wd40, exhaust sealer paste, copper grease and several cups of tea.

Think thats it Smile

Those on mems1.9 or 2J the engine cover can stay in place and the lambda sensor does not get touched as this is located in the exhaust manifold not the downpipe, and the manifold to downpipe flange is only a 4 bolt flange not a 6 bolt like the mems3 cars Smile

Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjs 9/9/2011, 6:59 am

Blimey cricky flip that's awesome. Glad mems 2 means no pesky lamda. Have all new gaskets but do you think you need exhaust paste as well?
Benjs
Benjs

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 10/9/2011, 12:24 am

I always put a smear of exhaust sealer or a silicone sealer on both sides of the gasket even a new gasket as it helps to keep the gasket inplace while trying to fit the exhaust and also it garrentees that you get a good seal between the joints as the exhaust flanges do corrode and this creats an un even surface which a solo gasket can't always seal up.
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjs 11/9/2011, 5:56 am

Well I tried but i failed. The hard to get at 2 bolts on the upper flanged proved i'm a breaker bar short of a full tool kit as i couldn't budge them. So off to kwikfit with my downpipe,gaskets & bolts tomorrow & my manhood/pride hidden in the footwell Crying or Very sad
Benjs
Benjs

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 11/9/2011, 8:14 am

your manhood can reach inti the footwell????? Show off Laughing
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjs 11/9/2011, 8:26 am

Nick wrote:your manhood can reach inti the footwell????? Show off Laughing

Only when It crawls down there in shame
Benjs
Benjs

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 11/9/2011, 8:54 am

You cant get s***ter than a quick fit fitter...oh wait you can Laughing To be fair it took my exhaust place about 90 min with flame and hammers to swap my cat and down pipe..I then did the easy exhaust swap 3 months later Very Happy
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjs 11/9/2011, 9:07 am

I suppose in my defence I did manage to move the car + axlestand + wheel chock across the drive trying! This was the point Zoe asked me to stop before the car colapsed on my head
Benjs
Benjs

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 11/9/2011, 9:17 am

It's good to know that even after all this time and in your advancing years that she still cares Smile
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjs 11/9/2011, 9:21 am

Nick wrote:It's good to know that even after all this time and in your advancing years that she still cares Smile

Nope she was worrying about me messing up the drive!
Benjs
Benjs

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 12/9/2011, 3:05 am

Benjs wrote:
Nope she was worrying about me messing up the drive!

Typical woman, always going off about us men making a mess. We have to give them something to do don't we Laughing

now awaits for the insults to come my way Embarassed
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down