Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Sideways!! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Sideways!!

+3
Rich
M77XNE
dressur
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sideways!! Empty Sideways!!

Post  dressur 19/8/2008, 9:26 am

I feel very silly! Did the classic today-driving home in a bad mood, someone tried to take me on coming off a roundabout - so i hoofed it, and lost the back end! Luckily I didn't hit anything - although the guy who was trying to cut me up decided he didn't want to play any more.

Stupid thing to do, especially as I've already had one major wobble in the same sitution -so am fully aware of how twitchy the back end can be.
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Sideways!! Empty Re: Sideways!!

Post  M77XNE 19/8/2008, 11:22 am

OMG Ally - you need to be careful you know!! It only takes once hun!!!

Shocked
M77XNE
M77XNE

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 19/8/2008, 5:18 pm

I think you need to go on a track day! Then we can get these killer moves on video in relative safety. What was the other car? Was it a chav?

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 19/8/2008, 7:14 pm

I doubt it Stu Chavvy is pretty busy preparing for the britball isnt he Laughing
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stiff 19/8/2008, 8:02 pm

Due to the F/TFs very short wheelbase and the mid-engined layout it makes for a very difficult car to control in the event of the back end going wayward.
That and we all know how fussy the F/TF is when it comes to tyres and pressures.
I was getting a lot of arse out action one wet week and I found that my tyre pressures being 5psi below normal were to blame! The tyres were newish proxes too.
Stiff

http://www.newgrounds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 19/8/2008, 10:00 pm

Stiff wrote:Due to the F/TFs very short wheelbase and the mid-engined layout it makes for a very difficult car to control in the event of the back end going wayward.
That and we all know how fussy the F/TF is when it comes to tyres and pressures.
I was getting a lot of arse out action one wet week and I found that my tyre pressures being 5psi below normal were to blame! The tyres were newish proxes too.

That is interesting Stiff. I had Toyos on the Steptronic but have Proxies on the Trophy. What are the best pressures for the Trophy anyone?
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 19/8/2008, 10:40 pm

Rich Stone wrote:I think you need to go on a track day! Then we can get these killer moves on video in relative safety. What was the other car? Was it a chav?

Rich

Don't really fancy doing it again - on track or road!

It was a Toyota Corolla - not sure whether he was a chav - but he had been annoying me for miles!

No excuse though - I feel very silly, and kinda lucky
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Stiff 19/8/2008, 11:00 pm

daved wrote:That is interesting Stiff. I had Toyos on the Steptronic but have Proxies on the Trophy. What are the best pressures for the Trophy anyone?
Toyos and Proxes are the same thing. The full name of the tyre is
Toyo Proxes T1-R. Linky

I found the best tyre pressure were as per what the owners manual suggests. But the suspension is different and that could influence it a bit I guess.
Stiff

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 20/8/2008, 12:02 am

Cool Stiff. I though they were different tyres Embarassed Laughing Laughing
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Stiff 20/8/2008, 12:13 am

daved wrote:Cool Stiff. I though they were different tyres Embarassed Laughing Laughing
It's confusing as no one calls them the same thing! They're Toyos, Proxes, or T1-Rs.
I thnk for the money there isn't a better tyre out there. You can get them in 205/45 R16* for less than £50 each. Bargain!

*Or whatever the rear tyre size on the TF is.
Stiff

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 20/8/2008, 5:48 am

How's this for a deal... Click here!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 20/8/2008, 7:06 am

Rich Stone wrote:How's this for a deal... Click here!

Rich

But I already have Toyo's????????
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 20/8/2008, 7:07 am

Yeah, but I was following on from Stiff's thread for anyone else who may have been reading it!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 20/8/2008, 7:12 am

Rich Stone wrote:Yeah, but I was following on from Stiff's thread for anyone else who may have been reading it!

Rich

Thread? I'd call it a hijack personally
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 20/8/2008, 7:16 am

dressur wrote:Thread? I'd call it a hijack personally
Happens all the time here!!!!

Digressed! Laughing

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 20/8/2008, 7:18 am

Rich Stone wrote:
dressur wrote:Thread? I'd call it a hijack personally
Happens all the time here!!!!

Digressed! Laughing

Rich

Spose it was vaguely relevant to the original topic Rolling Eyes
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 20/8/2008, 7:23 am

Good point raised by stiff though... Do you know what tyre pressures you're running on (when the air stays in...)?

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 20/8/2008, 8:02 am

Rich Stone wrote:Good point raised by stiff though... Do you know what tyre pressures you're running on (when the air stays in...)?

Rich

I am completely obsessed with my tyre pressures!! I keep a digi guage in my central console and check them at keast three times a week! 27 on the fronts, 29 on the backs
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 20/8/2008, 8:06 am

I run mine on 30 all round and up to 32 in the Winter, although this year the wheels won't be on the ground as my 'F will be off the road until March, unless I decide to take it to Gaydon on Saturday. But the Rover 'ZS 120' will be at the pub meet!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 20/8/2008, 8:09 am

Rich Stone wrote:I run mine on 30 all round and up to 32 in the Winter, although this year the wheels won't be on the ground as my 'F will be off the road until March, unless I decide to take it to Gaydon on Saturday. But the Rover 'ZS 120' will be at the pub meet!

Rich

I've got the orginal tyre pressure guide tucked into my sun visor - and it says 26 /28. I add a bit for luck - but didn't know you could go that much higher. What are the benefits?
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 20/8/2008, 8:15 am

It's difficult to say really. I've just found that my car handles better with those pressures. I've got the Continental PremiumContact tyres all round (the ones that were fitted to TFs as standard from the factory) and they are excellent in my opinion. Spot on in the wet and loads of grip when the car is chucked round the bends. Rather more expensive than the Toyos though so when it comes to replacing them, I'll probably go for Toyos instead. Then I'll play with the tyre pressures again until I'm happy!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 20/8/2008, 8:18 am

Rich Stone wrote:It's difficult to say really. I've just found that my car handles better with those pressures. I've got the Continental PremiumContact tyres all round (the ones that were fitted to TFs as standard from the factory) and they are excellent in my opinion. Spot on in the wet and loads of grip when the car is chucked round the bends. Rather more expensive than the Toyos though so when it comes to replacing them, I'll probably go for Toyos instead. Then I'll play with the tyre pressures again until I'm happy!

Rich

Might give them a bit of a blast tomorrow and see what happens.

Mind you - haven't really been testing the handling at speed since the bambi moment yeserday
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Stiff 20/8/2008, 8:52 pm

dressur wrote:I've got the orginal tyre pressure guide tucked into my sun visor - and it says 26 /28. I add a bit for luck - but didn't know you could go that much higher. What are the benefits?
I had a TF, so the pressures were different anyway. I also had 16inch wheels, IIRC yours are 15s?

I wasn't hijacking! I was just answering questions! Wink

Anyway, The F/TF has a twitchy chassis in the wet. Many people have disagreed with me, but I mantain that in the dry it's one of the best 'grippers' I've ever driven, but in the wet it needs delicate touch.

Still, like most of us you've been burned. So next time you'll know what not to do!
Stiff

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 21/8/2008, 5:44 am

Stiff wrote:
dressur wrote:I've got the orginal tyre pressure guide tucked into my sun visor - and it says 26 /28. I add a bit for luck - but didn't know you could go that much higher. What are the benefits?
I had a TF, so the pressures were different anyway. I also had 16inch wheels, IIRC yours are 15s?

I wasn't hijacking! I was just answering questions! Wink

Anyway, The F/TF has a twitchy chassis in the wet. Many people have disagreed with me, but I mantain that in the dry it's one of the best 'grippers' I've ever driven, but in the wet it needs delicate touch.

Still, like most of us you've been burned. So next time you'll know what not to do!

Sorry Stiff - I'm a grumpy old witch, and you were indeed just answering questions!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Sideways!! Empty Sideways Twice!

Post  Guest 21/8/2008, 7:21 am

Shocked Well I learnt my lesson the other day in the wet regarding the rubbish tyres that my TF came with. I did ask about them and was advised on the forum to change them asap before I ended up in ditch. Well I didnt end up in a ditch (bet you thought I was going to say I did?) But going around a roundabout in the pouring rain I found the car just sliding sideways to the left towards an HGV. All I could do was foot of the pedal and hope she gripped which she did and I made it across. Smile

So the next roundabout I thought go easy John Boy, so at 25 mph it did it again! Shocked
I hadnt expected it at such a low speed and it wasnt greasy roads either. We had suffered days of rain and the normal diesel and oil film was well washed away by then. My years of motorbike riding taught me a thing or two about roundabouts in the wet so I was taking it easy anyway. So i am getting the Toyo Proxy T1R`s which I used to have on my FTO and I found very good.

So yes! Ditch the Nankangs before they ditch you! Is my new motto. Hmmmm! wonder what it will feel like to have the correct size tyres from a decent brand on each corner? Anyone prefer the Eagle F1 GSD2 s ?

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum