Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver?

5 posters

Go down

ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? Empty ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver?

Post  c-j 2/6/2009, 7:59 am

Calling all Z-experts! any thoughts on the following welcomed...

I need to replace my daily drive - it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth now it's over 20yrs old!!! Appealing though modern euroboxes are (not!) I had a sudden thought... would a ZR make an unusual but acceptable vehicle?

Requirements are it must be reasonably cheap to run (?50mpg from diesel?), look ok in company/customers car park, reliable & not too expensive to fix when things wear or go wrong. oh and it must must must have a sunroof.

Would a well maintained, late model ZR diesel suit? Can they really do approx 50mpg? would a petrol be an ok alternative? - I understand that they blow head-gaskets a bit less often than our beloved F's.

Any thoughts from you knowledgable Z people appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris
ps: Neil - I dug out your excellent ZR road-test from SF - it looked tempting, if not a bit too bright!
c-j
c-j

Back to top Go down

ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver? Empty Re: ZR 2.0TD - Good daily driver?

Post  Nick 2/6/2009, 9:12 am

I think Lee would be your man on this, as he was driving Debs diesel ZR, he seemed to be enjoying chucking it around as I was following him around the country lanes bags of torque, nice looking motor, loads you can do to personalise them and good mpg too Very Happy
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 2/6/2009, 5:17 pm

Having owned a Rover 200SDi for a short while in the past, I can safely say that you wouldn't go wrong with a diesel ZR (same engine but a little more powerful in the Zed). The miles per gallon was indeed better than it's petrol equivalent, although because I was only doing 1.5 miles each way I wasn't benefitting. On longer runs, it was be far better. Also, bearing in mind it was a Rover I had, the ride was very comfortable and although softer than the ZR it handled very well.

So, for a daily driver, go for it! As Nick has said, Lee would be the ideal judge. His partner Debs' ZR TD is indistinguishable from the petrol model (with the exception of the cosmetic mods she has) and performs incredibly well. A worthy car to attend MG events in and yet a practical ride through the week.

Let us know if you get one. We'll need plenty of pics!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedhead 2/6/2009, 8:05 pm

The diesels dont suffer the same HGF as the petrols, from my understanding they are really torquey, and great fun.

Lookswise you cant go wrong - handling wise you cant go wrong, and as said you can easily add a few tweaks here and there to make it your own.

Finding a sunroof model might be a challenge - especially on the later facelift models, and a common problem is the seal leaking - however mine hasnt - yet!

Whatever you go for i would advise you make sure it has the Skirts, and the 17" alloys, these additions make them look so much better, and for comfort - insist on the monaco part leather seats.

I commute 50 miles a day in my 1.8 petrol, and its the comfiest car i have ever driven.

Go for it!
Zedhead
Zedhead

Back to top Go down

Post  c-j 3/6/2009, 6:15 am

guys,
brilliant responses - thanks for that. i'm getting more tempted by the hour! surprisingly there seem to be quite a few sunroof versions dotted around the country.

overall costs will be an issue so what sort of mpg do you get from 1.8 petrol on 50 mile commutes?

cheers again,
chris
ps. rich - i think i still owe you photos of the abingdon!
c-j
c-j

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 3/6/2009, 5:08 pm

My 45 1.i gives about 37mpg on a nice run but it's a heavier car than the ZR so I would expect better from that. Having said that, my 'F with the VVC lump in used to do much better too when I used to fly up and down the M1 to Leeds. In fact, when I took it to Scotland once, I managed to average 42mpg. Never happened since! Bearing in mind these figures are on long stretches of straight 'cruising' roads, so it's bound to go down when driving around town or dealing with roundabouts and traffic lights...

The 1.8 K Series engine is pretty good with fuel figures compared to it's competitors and despite the HGF legacy is a very good engine. When first launched, it won several design awards! They didn't know about the gasket problems at that point! Rolling Eyes

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedhead 3/6/2009, 5:50 pm

I dont know exact mpg figures for mine, but I fill up on a sunday night and that gets me to work all week - 5x50miles and theres enough left for pootling around at the weekend too.
Zedhead
Zedhead

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 3/6/2009, 11:16 pm

C-J, while not decrying any comments from fellow members, have you browsed the ZR Forum on .org here http://forums.mg-rover.org/forumdisplay.php?f=101?

Or even pose the same question there?

As Rich says, plenty of piccies if you get one please and of course plenty of web links to the ones you are looking at just because I'm (we're) nosey Laughing

Cheers

Dave

Scott the Scot!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  c-j 4/6/2009, 3:57 pm

cheers guys,
Dave - thanks for the link - really useful. hope you are enjoying your ZTT.

Chris
c-j
c-j

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 4/6/2009, 5:09 pm

Digressed!
I think it's time for an avatar... I'll see if I can help you out there Chris. Could you send one or two pics of your car?
The creator!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 5/6/2009, 12:35 am

c-j wrote:cheers guys,
Dave - thanks for the link - really useful. hope you are enjoying your ZTT.

Chris

It's brilliant Chris (touch wood) thanks. It's got to the stage that I am hoping for cooller wetter weather so I can use it instead of the Trophy Shocked Laughing Laughing

Dave

Scott the Scot!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down