Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
TF Steering Wheel in the ZS I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

TF Steering Wheel in the ZS

4 posters

Go down

TF Steering Wheel in the ZS Empty TF Steering Wheel in the ZS

Post  StevePem 20/7/2011, 9:25 pm

I am sure Matt must know the answer to this:

Would it be easy to adapt a TF steering wheel to fit the ZS? I seem to remember there is a kind of flange on the ZS wheel that is not on the TF one, is it as simple as putting some kind of spacer in?

I swapped the original vinyl wheel for a leather one but still does not feel nearly as nice as the TF wheel and I think I know where there is a spare TF wheel in the Rushden area Very Happy

Cheers
Steve
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

TF Steering Wheel in the ZS Empty Re: TF Steering Wheel in the ZS

Post  Tony 20/7/2011, 10:40 pm

Isn't the TF wheel a smaller diameter than the ZS wheel? It would make the steering a bit heavier due to having less leverage.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 21/7/2011, 1:07 am

Yes, definitely smaller diameter, do you think it would make much diference with power steering.

I remember in the seventies putting a "rally" steering wheel on my MGB and getting severe arm ache! But obviously no power steering on that. I gave up after a couple of weeks and put the big lorry steering wheel back on!
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 21/7/2011, 1:26 am

I did also see this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290575026897&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Which says it is "soft feel" but think smokestone may be too light a colour, plus not sure if I have the wiring for stereo remote control.

I know that I could still fit it but would be annoying having the controls and not being able to use them!
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 21/7/2011, 3:08 am

Never seen a steering wheel quite like that. Rather special.

I wouldn't worry too much about the controls. You could either remove them and blank off the small hole or get one of the many adapters available for the different makes of headunit and get them working? Thumbs up

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 21/7/2011, 7:44 am

It is more the colour I am worried about now, the smokestone grey will match up with the headlining and windscreen surround etc but not sure if it will look right against the rest of the interior.

If the seats were light grey it would be ok. It would be good to be able to just place it in to compare but can't really do that!

If it was ash grey I would go for it.
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 22/7/2011, 7:17 am

Your correct, I do know Smile

F and TF steering wheels do fit on the Zed's as they use the same spine, however you can not just swap them over. The Zed's centre fitment has a deeper inset collar which allows the indicator self cancelling to work, but also it keeps the wheel saced up correctly from the column centre stub.

I failed to notice this when I fitted a blue leather TF wheel to my 400 bubble back in 2004 so i always wondered why the indicators never cancelled afterwards but then also when I came to scrap the car and remove the wheel it took me and my dad about 15minutes of pulling on the wheel(feet on dash board) to get the wheel off the column as when you tighten the nut to hold the wheel on as the centre fitment is shallower than the Zed's(bubbles too) the wheel got clamped and compressed down over the fatter smooth section of the steering column shaft where is shouldn't be lol.

To the fit the wheels you need to either have a 8mm(IIRC) spacer made that has 2 cuts in it to located the cancelling lugs on the wheel and also have 2 lugs of its own to act as the canceller.

Hope that makes sence as I am tired and not thinking straight Smile (been working on the TF today replacing the rear trailing arm mount bushs on the rear subframe Mad )
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 22/7/2011, 8:05 pm

Thanks Matt, yes makes perfect sense, I have the old vinyl steering wheel from the ZS so can use that for a patern for the lugs and then work out from the TF wheel where the cuts need to be.

Cheers
Steve
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down