Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Fixed wobly gear stick! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Fixed wobly gear stick!

4 posters

Go down

Fixed wobly gear stick! Empty Fixed wobly gear stick!

Post  Nick 31/3/2009, 3:25 am

Well after many months of staring at the replacement TF gear leaver assembly I bought I finally got around to swapping it over today. Very Happy
I'd booked the day off to use up my outstanding holiday so thought I'd put it to good use.
My gearselector has always been worn and moved around a lot even when in gear, I've been concerned that it might be cablkes or something truely scary, but fortunatly it wasnt.
It's taken a good 3 hours as you have to strip out the tbar, centre glove box, centre console, and centre dash. Then remove the SRS module (having disconnected the battery for an hour).
Swapping the mech was easy once you get to it, the cables pop off - with some effort- and clip on the new mechanism, then re-assemble.
I heartily recommend the swap for any-one else suffering from the same problem.
It's time consuming but only requires a phillips head screwdriver an 8mm and 10 mm socket.
I'm happy to help (now I know what I'm doing) if anyone alse has been considering this!
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Fixed wobly gear stick! Empty Re: Fixed wobly gear stick!

Post  Rich 31/3/2009, 5:11 pm

Sounds an excellent project. Did you take any pics?

The SRS only needs about 10-15 minutes with the battery off but I'm sure you made good use of the time! Did you consider shortening the gearstick shaft when you did the job? Mine is about two inches shorter and it's excellent, like using a joystick and enabling fast changes! I have to confess that it was MGF Centre that did it for me, quite a few years ago now whilst I was having some other stuff fitted, but all you need is a decent hacksaw and a gearknob that secures with grub screws (ie doesn't rely on the threaded bit as it's missing).

Slightly off topic... I'll hopefully be sorting the SRS light on 'Smudge' tomorrow. The usual fiddling with the under seat plugs and WD40 hasn't worked so I'm armed with new more substantial connectors, a soldering iron and some heatshrink. The reason I've chosen tomorrow is that I'm having a towbar fitted at the same time... spanner spanner

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 1/4/2009, 12:42 am

Nick - Sounds like a day off well spent if you ask me!

I've always wanted to reduce the wobble in the gearstick but 3 hours is time I dont have at the moment! Rolling Eyes Is there still a little play or has it resoolved the wobble completely?

Rich - I have a soldering iron covered in melted plastic if you want to borrow it? Laughing
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack 1/4/2009, 3:00 am

Rich Stone wrote:
The reason I've chosen tomorrow is that I'm having a towbar fitted at the same time... spanner spanner

Rich

Why you having a towbar fitted??? Shocked
Captain Jack
Captain Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 1/4/2009, 4:56 am

Seb wrote:
I've always wanted to reduce the wobble in the gearstick but 3 hours is time I dont have at the moment! Rolling Eyes Is there still a little play or has it resoolved the wobble completely?

It's pretty much sorted it, the replacement was from a TF that had done 25K.....if it hadnt have worked I'd have gone with MS slickshift, but this was a lot cheaper £15 ebay bargain Laughing
The old gearmech was pretty shot so the improvements been massive!
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 1/4/2009, 5:24 pm

marcus mgf wrote:Why you having a towbar fitted??? Shocked
Now I know this will get 'old fart' jokes, but Kate & I have inherited a caravan! It's only a little one but far better than having to shove up a flamin' tent everywhere we go and better for Kate's health. We were going to get a trailer tent until my folks decided to upgrade their 'van and made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

And don't worry, it may be hitched onto a Rover, but this is 'Smudge' and I'm driving... What was the speed limit supposed to be when towing? Ooops... Sorry Officer!!!!

Rich

P.S. It's got a big Southmids Sportsters sticker on the back already!
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 2/4/2009, 7:01 am

I thought you were going for a trailer tent? and to start with I thought you were getting the towbar fitted to the F Shocked .

Anyhoo a quick update on my fantastic new gear mech. I had a great drive in to work in the F today....I only noticed I had no indicators when I got to sixfields!! Embarassed

I got into work Ok and checked fuse F1 ...everything OK.
Had a think at lunch and suspected a relay so drove home this evenng using old fashioned hand signals. Laughing
I had a little sit down a couple of buds and watched the first half of the footy...as the adverts started it hit me....... I'd forgotten to reconnect the hazard switch (there were loads of plugs I did reconnect).
It appears that the hazard switch completes the indicator circuit so all fixed and no rooting round with relays.
I just thought it may be useful to confess my idiocy in case it helps anyone else one day in the future.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down