Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Spitting , fuming etc

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spitting , fuming etc - Page 3 Empty Re: Spitting , fuming etc

Post  dressur 26/10/2008, 1:18 am

I do trust the garage - they tried really hard to pass it with advisories for me - the emissions were so sky high that it couldn't be done!

There are about 9 speed bumps on the road into my flat - so its doing them minimum twice a day - plus the roads round here are very bad - I guess that would explain the track rod ends. I got advisories on both front upper suspension ball joints and one rear upper radius arm ball joint - so it's obviously getting a bit of a hammering!

I ended up sitting in the car while it went up on the hydraulic thingie, so he could get me to do the various braking, steering-ey things - that was quite fun!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 26/10/2008, 1:22 am

Last lambda sensor was done at 126050 - not sure what mileage the previous one was
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 26/10/2008, 1:36 am

dressur wrote:Last lambda sensor was done at 126050 - not sure what mileage the previous one was

so not really consistant then.. hmmmm
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 26/10/2008, 1:38 am

dressur wrote:I do trust the garage - they tried really hard to pass it with advisories for me - the emissions were so sky high that it couldn't be done!

There are about 9 speed bumps on the road into my flat - so its doing them minimum twice a day - plus the roads round here are very bad - I guess that would explain the track rod ends. I got advisories on both front upper suspension ball joints and one rear upper radius arm ball joint - so it's obviously getting a bit of a hammering!

I ended up sitting in the car while it went up on the hydraulic thingie, so he could get me to do the various braking, steering-ey things - that was quite fun!!

well at least you trust the place that they did an honest job, can't aks for more than that!!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 26/10/2008, 2:06 am

Dark Knight wrote:
dressur wrote:I do trust the garage - they tried really hard to pass it with advisories for me - the emissions were so sky high that it couldn't be done!

well at least you trust the place that they did an honest job, can't aks for more than that!!!

Hot mechanic too!! That helped ease the blow!! and he said Wriggly was a great car!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 26/10/2008, 2:14 am

Dark Knight wrote:actually Ally do you know at what mileage the Lambda sensors were changed in the past?

we could wok out the average mileage of a lambda sesor which would be good for others to know
My 'F has done approx 106,500m and is still on the original sensor... They aren't that sensitive and I wouldn't think speed humps or potholes could affect one, but they are often the cause for bad emission results. When mine was close to failing, they revved the engine to about 4500rpm and held it there for about 5 minutes (fumes in the garage were terrible) but it dropped just enough for a pass afterwards. The T4 diagnostics did say it was reading a little high, but that was three MoTs ago. It's also worth noting that I had been driving around 'cat-less' for a year or so, and had only just put my old cat back on. I may not be so lucky in March when Ollie's back on the road, so plan to fit a new sensor this time just in case... Dunno!

Ally, I'll send on your apologies for you tomorrow. I'm sure they'll fully understand. If there's anything you need discussed, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck on Tuesday. Thumbs up

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 26/10/2008, 2:31 am

Rich Stone wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:actually Ally do you know at what mileage the Lambda sensors were changed in the past?

we could wok out the average mileage of a lambda sesor which would be good for others to know
My 'F has done approx 106,500m and is still on the original sensor... They aren't that sensitive and I wouldn't think speed humps or potholes could affect one, but they are often the cause for bad emission results. When mine was close to failing, they revved the engine to about 4500rpm and held it there for about 5 minutes (fumes in the garage were terrible) but it dropped just enough for a pass afterwards. The T4 diagnostics did say it was reading a little high, but that was three MoTs ago. It's also worth noting that I had been driving around 'cat-less' for a year or so, and had only just put my old cat back on. I may not be so lucky in March when Ollie's back on the road, so plan to fit a new sensor this time just in case... Dunno!

Ally, I'll send on your apologies for you tomorrow. I'm sure they'll fully understand. If there's anything you need discussed, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck on Tuesday. Thumbs up

Rich

Thanks Rich,

They mentioned that they would try revving it for 5/10 mins to see if
they could get the emissions down that way. Reckoned it was worth
trying an engine treatment, but as it was throwing out a .2 reading, that
it probably wouldn't do a lot!

Hope they don't have to replace the lambda sensor - I've just seen how much they are!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 26/10/2008, 2:44 am

Not cheap - around £40 is the norm - but when they aren't working, your fuel consumption is affected, often badly, so think of the petrol cost savings to offset it! Wink

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 26/10/2008, 2:46 am

Sorry it failed Ally No , Mine failed on emmisions last time as well. My mechanic found it was a loom issue at the plug end and resoldered the plug, put it back on the coolant sensor (i think) and she was fine, so hopefully you may not need a new sensor, just clean up the plug and check the loom?
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 26/10/2008, 2:51 am

Nick wrote:Sorry it failed Ally No , Mine failed on emmisions last time as well. My mechanic found it was a loom issue at the plug end and resoldered the plug, put it back on the coolant sensor (i think) and she was fine, so hopefully you may not need a new sensor, just clean up the plug and check the loom?

My fault entirely for telling you that it had never failed an MOT before!! I'll suggest that to the mechanics - and hope it impresses them sufficiently that they don't rip me off because I'm a girl!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 26/10/2008, 3:24 am

Sorry to hear it failed - Just look on the bright side at least you have found a decent garage and a possible future Mr Dressur! Laughing

dressur wrote:

When i was 15 that was my saturday job in CMC (the garage that i mentioned this morning)
'Rock the steering', 'work the handbrake' 'foot brake on - off' ha ha they were the days!!!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 26/10/2008, 6:37 am

I hear you're going to make it tomorrow after all... Take your earplugs, and I don't mean for the meeting. You'll need your hearing so you know what's going on!!!!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 26/10/2008, 6:56 am

Yes Rich, I'll be there!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 27/10/2008, 9:30 am

Lambda sensors! - If it does turn out to be this that needs replacing - is this the right piece of kit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-Lambda-Sensor-MG-TF-ZS-MGF-Rover-25-45-200-400_W0QQitemZ130241942767QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130241942767&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I'm unsure why it's called a 'front' lambda sensor! Is there a 'back' one too?
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 27/10/2008, 9:50 am

On a TF or a MY2K F, yes. There is one before and after the cat. But for yours, only the one before.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 27/10/2008, 10:00 am

scubastewart wrote:On a TF or a MY2K F, yes. There is one before and after the cat. But for yours, only the one before.

Which is this one?
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 27/10/2008, 10:25 am

the back one ois right for you

Paul
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 27/10/2008, 10:29 am

Dark Knight wrote:the back one ois right for you

Paul

b"£$%)ks!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 27/10/2008, 10:49 am

eh???
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 27/10/2008, 5:52 pm

Nope. It's the front one. There isn't one fitted to the exhaust system or cat.

IIRC it's up near the exhaust manifold and a pain in the ar$e to get at. That may just be a reason for it failing. It gets rediculously hot all the time, so is subjected to extreme temperature changes. Mind you, it's designed to do that! Rolling Eyes

Stewart pointed out the reason why the back TF/MY2K F ones get damaged by pot holes. I'd forgotten they are underneath in a vulnerable location...

Rich.
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 27/10/2008, 8:08 pm

OH!! Stewart made it sound like it was the one before the CAT. Hence i thought the back one!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 27/10/2008, 8:11 pm

So - and I'm being a bit slow - if it is the lambda sensor that has failed- I can buy this one and it will be the right part?
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 27/10/2008, 11:40 pm

As far as I know, they are the same. Personally, I'd avoid anything that says 'universal' and try to find one that is specific. I'll have a look later for you if you don't have any luck today.

Dark Knight wrote:OH!! Stewart made it sound like it was the one before the CAT. Hence i thought the back one!
The one after the cat is on the bend of the pipe I think (goes to check Rave CD) and that's the one earlier 'Fs don't have. But it's further back than the manifold, so I'd still read that as the back one...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 28/10/2008, 12:56 am

these F'ing F's are so complicated, i think im glad i have the stripped budget TF..... i know where both mine are....... (did some nosying around just incase)

Paul
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 28/10/2008, 3:19 am

So you know that your other one is in the same place as the 'F one then... Not so complicated after all... We only have the one and you have two to worry about! Tongue

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next