Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Relays I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Relays I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Relays I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Relays I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Relays I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Relays I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Relays I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Relays I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Relays I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Relays I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Relays

4 posters

Go down

Relays Empty Relays

Post  Seb 27/9/2008, 2:01 am

I know I have asked some of you already but I cant find the answer anywhere!

Without me replacing all three realys does anyone know which of the 3 would be used for Front Fog lights? Top, Middle or Bottom??
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Relays Empty Re: Relays

Post  Dark Knight 27/9/2008, 2:04 am

Strike it lucky!!! Laughing

How about it if i try and look when i get in...... i dont have fogs so the one im missing will be the one surely??????
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 27/9/2008, 2:18 am

Dark Knight wrote:Strike it lucky!!! Laughing

How about it if i try and look when i get in...... i dont have fogs so the one im missing will be the one surely??????

I like ya style DK Bad Horse - that would be good if you could! I'm going to the scrap yard tomorrow to get the relays off the car that i robbed the switches from as i know that one works with the MY2K switch!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 27/9/2008, 2:33 am

ok just in i'll have a look shortly!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 27/9/2008, 2:37 am

Dark Knight wrote:ok just in i'll have a look shortly!!

cheers much appreciated Wise old man
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 27/9/2008, 4:33 am

bottom one!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 8:38 pm

Ok - I am well and truly confused!

I got the Relays on saturday out of the 51 reg F where i got the centre console from (including front fog light switch) and swapped them over!.....Still no luck!!

When i put the MY2k front fog light switch on, the fog lights are constantly on and you cant switch them off, even with the new relays, however when I put the old mk1 fog light switch on they work fine!

I have even tried a new MY2k fog light switch from Nicks F and that still didnt work. Dunno! Dunno! Dunno! Tumbleweed

Has anyone got any idea why this would be the case, or know anyone who is an expert study in MGF wiring looms/fog lights that will be able to help?

Oh by the way, i actually only have two relays in my F, top and middle so please ignore the previous threads! lol!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/9/2008, 8:52 pm

so to summerise.

New MY2K switch - lights come on but wont go off
Mk1 switch - work fine switching on and off
Nicks MY2K switch - didnt come on at all? or was this the same situation as with the top one?

also see if you find this thread useful from .Org it give wiring diagrams if you scroll down a bit in it

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=254488&highlight=fried+foglight
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 9:14 pm

Nicks MY2k switch is the same faults as the top one!

Cheers DK - Yeah that diagram doesnt really explain where my problems lie, I just cant understand how it will work with one switch but not the other?

might take it to clifton lane and see if they know anything about them?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/9/2008, 9:19 pm

Seb wrote:Nicks MY2k switch is the same faults as the top one!

Cheers DK - Yeah that diagram doesnt really explain where my problems lie, I just cant understand how it will work with one switch but not the other?

might take it to clifton lane and see if they know anything about them?

if nicks gives same fault as yours, then it means it is a fault with the switched live! it might be the the Mk1 to the MY2K the live and switched live are in opposite positions - if that makes sense, so you will need to change them around!

Last edited by Dark Knight on 29/9/2008, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 29/9/2008, 9:28 pm

If it were me -I'd stick with the Mk1!!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 9:34 pm

Oh i see so...... it's a simple case of switching the live wires over in the back of plug?
once the lights (sidelights and headlights) are switched off they do go off, so it could just be one of the others! hmmmmmmmmmmm
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 9:35 pm

dressur wrote:If it were me -I'd stick with the Mk1!!!

it's too late now Ally - there is no going back!!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/9/2008, 9:39 pm

Seb wrote:Oh i see so...... it's a simple case of switching the live wires over in the back of plug?
once the lights (sidelights and headlights) are switched off they do go off, so it could just be one of the others! hmmmmmmmmmmm

yes that explains it then, you need to switch positions 1 & 2 around.

1 is where the power from sidelights (permanent live) should be but this must be on positon 2 on yuors as its turing the fogs on right away!

2 should be switch live but its on position 1 on yours
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 9:50 pm

1 is where the power from sidelights (permanent live) should be but this must be on positon 2 on yuors as its turing the fogs on right away!

You are brighter than you look! Laughing just kidding mate!

so 1 & 2 need swapping around

My next questrion is, how doi you get inside a moulded plug to change the wires? or shall i just cut the wires and solder them back in the correct positions?

Cheers
Seb
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/9/2008, 9:57 pm

Seb wrote:

You are brighter than you look! Laughing just kidding mate!

so 1 & 2 need swapping around

My next questrion is, how doi you get inside a moulded plug to change the wires? or shall i just cut the wires and solder them back in the correct positions?

Cheers
Seb

without seeing them i couldnt tell you the best way!

but one easy way could be to cut the 2 wires 2inches or so back from the switch and use a terminal block or even spade connectors to switch them around, easier than soldering!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 29/9/2008, 10:10 pm

Seb wrote:
dressur wrote:If it were me -I'd stick with the Mk1!!!

it's too late now Ally - there is no going back!!

I can't talk - I took my bike apart this morning, against everyones better judgement - they all said that if it wasn't broken, there was no need to fix it, and that if I took it into Halfords, the squeak could be easily fixed by people who knew what they were doing. Because I'm bored and looking for challenges - I ignored them, and now have bits of bike all over my bedroom floor - and I can't remember how it goes back together!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 10:25 pm

Dark Knight wrote:

but one easy way could be to cut the 2 wires 2inches or so back from the switch and use a terminal block or even spade connectors to switch them around, easier than soldering!

That's a good idea, then i can always put them back and the old switch back on if all else fails.

Cheers again!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 10:27 pm

dressur wrote:
I can't talk - I took my bike apart this morning, against everyones better judgement - they all said that if it wasn't broken, there was no need to fix it, and that if I took it into Halfords, the squeak could be easily fixed by people who knew what they were doing. Because I'm bored and looking for challenges - I ignored them, and now have bits of bike all over my bedroom floor - and I can't remember how it goes back together!

Laughing Laughing Are we talking a 'Rayleigh' kind of bike here?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/9/2008, 10:27 pm

Seb wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:

That's a good idea, then i can always put them back and the old switch back on if all else fails.

Cheers again!

yh thats wht i was thinking no point in making it too permanent!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 29/9/2008, 10:39 pm

Dark Knight wrote:yes that explains it then, you need to switch positions 1 & 2 around.
But in the thread on .org that you posted, position 1 & 2 are connected together anyway!

Seb wrote:That's a good idea, then i can always put them back and the old switch back on if all else fails.
If the connectors are the same as the Mk1 'F, you can get little crimps that will fit on the pins and also into the existing connector so you can make a sort-of adaptor lead...

My fogs, being of the uniquely non-MG variety use a loom I made completely by me... I bought the front fog switch and worked out the connections myself, then created the loom to work when the sidelights are on (a legal requirement in the UK and checked on MoTs) and using a standard accessory relay that came with my micro-lights. Not that difficult to do, and I could work out the connections on the MY2000/TF switch and do the same again if someone wants to lend me one...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 29/9/2008, 10:49 pm

Rich Stone wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:yes that explains it then, you need to switch positions 1 & 2 around.
But in the thread on .org that you posted, position 1 & 2 are connected together anyway!

that is correct however the diagram is very basic and i dont think is very accurate as there should be some better explanation!

but it dos help undertand what is going on.
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 29/9/2008, 10:55 pm

But the diagram looks correct and it does work! Bearing in mind there are two bulbs in the switch - One to light it up when the normal lights are on, and one to show the fogs are on. So the sidelight does need to be commoned up with one of them and won't make any difference to the fogs coming on or not. One and two are connected together on mine!

Anyhoo... Going back to work now, so I'll see how you guys are getting on when I get in tonight... Cool

Rich

Last edited by Rich Stone on 29/9/2008, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 29/9/2008, 10:55 pm

Rich
That would be excellent if you could, I have ordered a new switch from x-part just incase the possibility of both switches (mine and Nicks) being faulty, however i have little faith that this will be the case!

If you dont mind, I could pop a switch round sometime this week for you to have a look at for me? I'm not in any hurry as the Mk1 switch is still working it's just bugging me!

Cheers
Seb
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down