Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Dancing steering I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Dancing steering

+2
Nick
daved
6 posters

Go down

Dancing steering Empty Dancing steering

Post  daved 2/9/2008, 3:46 am

I have just had two rear tyres fitted, both Proxies T1Rs and now the front feels like it is on tiptoes and twitches about alarmingly.

The front tyres have loads of tread left and I run on 28psi at the front and 32 on the rear. This was the same pressures before I had the tyres fitted and it handled beautifully.

Any ideas please? I need it fixed before the Welsh Weekender this weekend!!

Cheers

Dave
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Dancing steering Empty Re: Dancing steering

Post  Nick 2/9/2008, 4:45 am

Hi Dave,
Proxes are pretty slippy for the first 200 miles or so, as the mold release agent takes a while to scrub off. Once run in they are the business though!
I spent 6 months working for dunlop tyres motorsport division in 1994, and some of their stickier tyres take a while to scrub in too, nothing to worry about, ahould be fine by the time you reach welsh Wales
Have a good one.
Oh and check they've put them on the correct side as they are directional, I've heard of that more than once too!
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/9/2008, 4:54 am

Yep, I'd go with the same as Nick. In fact motorbike tyres can take quite a while and it's pretty damn scary when you first drive out the fitters with them. One of the tyre places near me has put up a map on the wall with marks on it showing where each motorbike rider has come off when they've ridden out of their place!!!

Your toyos should scrub in by the time you arrive in Cardiff.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 2/9/2008, 5:12 am

But it's rear tyres that were replaced........not the front ones. Are the rears pushing the car all over the place then?
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/9/2008, 5:25 am

Hard to say without me jumping in the seat and feeling what it's like, but I'd still go with it being slippy rears that you are feeling. Lack of traction at the rear will make the whole car feel very much on edge. Also, personally I'd drop your pressures a little, 30 on the rear and 28 on the front. Just have to wait and see what they are like once they are scrubbed in, but take it steady for a little while.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 2/10/2008, 9:55 pm

An update guys and a great bit of knowledge for those about to change tyres. After mucking about with tyre pressures and putting new tyres on the front the car still drove like what this horse is depositing Bad Horse

So I went back to Clifton Lane and we put the front wheels on the back and the back wheels on the front. Shocked Embarassed That didn't work. It was ten times worse. Martin suggested taking it back to Tyres Northampton and getting the Toyos replaced.

I did, sold the Toyos to them and got two SD2s off the shelf on the back. Made no Censored difference.

Mick at Tyres Northampton then suggested the telemetry as we cannot adjust the camber. Wow! The toes on both front and rear wheels were so out of kilter that they were off the chart Embarassed meaning that the camber on all four wheels were also off the chart.Big eyes!

He realigned everything so that all four wheels were actually on straight!!

The car now drives beautifully.
Laughing Laughing

So beware.............get your telemetry checked after fitting new tyres as they emphasise maladjusted wheel alignment.
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 2/10/2008, 10:36 pm

Dave - if you dont mind me asking, how much did Tyres Northampton charge for 4 wheel alignment?

Nick said on some previous threads that he recommends getting this done!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 10:41 pm

but i dont get it!!!!

i had GY on mine and they have been on since the car was new! Car has driven fine just put 2 new tyres on rear and car still drives fine! why would i need to check all the telemetry as they were fine before and just had same tryes on so should be just hte same surely.
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 2/10/2008, 10:52 pm

Not all cars necessarily need it and yours was probably ok. It depends how many potholes. kerbs, etc. you've been misfortunate enough to experience up close. If your wheel alignment is fine and the new tyres are correctly balanced, you should be fine. But if the alignment is out, the new tyres will enhance it!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 2/10/2008, 10:57 pm

ok makes more sence now!! plus with 17k on clock mines seen less pot holes than most!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 2/10/2008, 10:57 pm

Seb wrote:Dave - if you dont mind me asking, how much did Tyres Northampton charge for 4 wheel alignment?

Nick said on some previous threads that he recommends getting this done!

Full geometry check and adjustment was £76.59 including balancing. And it says on the invoice next check due in 6 months. They give a print out so that you can see if the adjustment needs doing so it isn't necessarily a marketing tool.
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 2/10/2008, 11:00 pm

daved wrote:

Full geometry check and adjustment was £76.59 including balancing. And it says on the invoice next check due in 6 months. They give a print out so that you can see if the adjustment needs doing so it isn't necessarily a marketing tool.

Not that bad then, I might take mine just to get it checked out! My old Proxes did tend to wear on the inner edges quite a lot, but the car didnt seem to pull to one side at all!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 2/10/2008, 11:06 pm

Mine didn't pull to one side (well it did but that was the EPAS fault). It's hard to describe but it felt like it was wandering - it was slightly, but was more a sense that it wasn't running straight - a bit like the crabbing one used to get with old Minis. It also felt like it wasn't going to go around the bends Shocked
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/10/2008, 11:25 pm

Excellent news Dave. Glad you are all sorted out now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 3/10/2008, 12:01 am

DK I also think that the changes in ride height associated with hydragas can affect the alignment, so I guess it'd be more prevelant onj MGFs as they have the proper suspension set up instead of the common stuff you TFers use Very Happy
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 3/10/2008, 12:03 am

Nick wrote:DK I also think that the changes in ride height associated with hydragas can affect the alignment, so I guess it'd be more prevelant onj MGFs as they have the proper suspension set up instead of the common stuff you TFers use Very Happy

oh yes your reffering to that metro suspension you lot use!!! Laughing Cool
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 3/10/2008, 1:00 am

Dark Knight wrote:
Nick wrote:DK I also think that the changes in ride height associated with hydragas can affect the alignment, so I guess it'd be more prevelant onj MGFs as they have the proper suspension set up instead of the common stuff you TFers use Very Happy

I'll have you know that it was revolutionary when first introduced in the proper Mini and is still revolutionary today. It is also betetr than that stuff TF uses that came from the Raliegh bikes parts bin Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 3/10/2008, 1:38 am

daved wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:

I'll have you know that it was revolutionary when first introduced in the proper Mini and is still revolutionary today. It is also betetr than that stuff TF uses that came from the Raliegh bikes parts bin Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

but raleigh bikes never had suspension dave! Very Happy

anyway how many sports cars are opting for this revolutionary suspension these day? Cool
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 3/10/2008, 1:56 am

DK, You TFers only got that standard stuff 'cause the correct suspension became too expensive...another project dive cutback I reckon Laughing Twisted Evil Dangle carrot
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 3/10/2008, 10:26 am

I had my wheel alignment done via clifton lane and best money i spent on the F.The real reason though is related to what's been mentioned already and thats ride hieght and i lowered my car.If you buy an mgf you start from scratch not knowing what has and has not happened in it's past.
The TF is a different car to drive ,I found when you hit the sweet spot with an mgf it's great but any small change in tyre pressure,wheel alignment or ride hieght had a big effect.However it's personal preference because i had mine checked 3 times by different places but it depends how you want to set it for better turn Cool in or stability on motorways. Smile The TF is more neutral and doesn't suffer the same drop in hydragas and therefore camber changes.

I think both mgf and tf are great fun to drive but have suttle differences ;)I loved my MGF and i'm loving my TF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 3/10/2008, 5:20 pm

Dark Knight wrote:

but raleigh bikes never had suspension dave! Very Happy

Ipso facto! I rest my case Laughing Laughing
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 3/10/2008, 5:24 pm

mgffred wrote:I had my wheel alignment done via clifton lane and best money i spent on the F.The real reason though is related to what's been mentioned already and thats ride hieght and i lowered my car.If you buy an mgf you start from scratch not knowing what has and has not happened in it's past.
The TF is a different car to drive ,I found when you hit the sweet spot with an mgf it's great but any small change in tyre pressure,wheel alignment or ride hieght had a big effect.However it's personal preference because i had mine checked 3 times by different places but it depends how you want to set it for better turn Cool in or stability on motorways. Smile The TF is more neutral and doesn't suffer the same drop in hydragas and therefore camber changes.

I think both mgf and tf are great fun to drive but have suttle differences ;)I loved my MGF and i'm loving my TF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart, I agree 100% with everything you say here. Just wait until I get my B on the road; those pram springs will show you all up Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 3/10/2008, 6:27 pm

Nick wrote:DK, You TFers only got that standard stuff 'cause the correct suspension became too expensive...another project dive cutback I reckon Laughing Twisted Evil Dangle carrot

oh i see!!! Cool

you ever thought a sales pitch to Bugatti or Ferrari i am sure they could afford it Laughing Laughing

ok ok gone abit far now goes to get:coat: off the the dark room alone!! study
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 3/10/2008, 10:34 pm

Dark Knight wrote:you ever thought a sales pitch to Bugatti or Ferrari i am sure they could afford it Laughing Laughing
Do you honestly think that when the TF was launched, they spent a similar budget to Ferrari on the suspension. Their whole budget would have gone on developing a new cigarette lighter for the italian guys!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 3/10/2008, 10:41 pm

Rich Stone wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:you ever thought a sales pitch to Bugatti or Ferrari i am sure they could afford it Laughing Laughing
Do you honestly think that when the TF was launched, they spent a similar budget to Ferrari on the suspension. Their whole budget would have gone on developing a new cigarette lighter for the italian guys!

Rich

no no no i didnt mean that, i mean't that you should see lthis revolutionary design to the likes or Ferrari since its so good!!! Shocked Cool Laughing

anyway! Digressed!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down