Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Finally fitted my lowering pins I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Finally fitted my lowering pins

+3
adrianvvc
gotenks1321
Nick
7 posters

Go down

Finally fitted my lowering pins Empty Finally fitted my lowering pins

Post  Nick 10/6/2012, 6:30 am

Well thanks to a discussion with Matt, I finally got around to fitting my lowering pins, and got to know my way around my hydra vac pump.

The car looks great, I probably need a 4 wheel alignment now, I guess I need the trophy settings as I have lowered it and fitted Gaz adjustables?

So if anyone local needs a suspension trim height adjustment etc I'm available for a nominal fee to cover the fluid etc
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Finally fitted my lowering pins Empty Re: Finally fitted my lowering pins

Post  gotenks1321 10/6/2012, 6:59 am

Good man Headbanger

I need to get around to swapping mine over to the new one but that can wait I think Laughing

Have you fitted compliance washers or polybushes to the rear arms to take up the slack? I found that made a huge difference pirate
gotenks1321
gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 10/6/2012, 7:17 am

Nope, not yet, I do have a set of compliance washers, I've also got a complete set of polybushes ready to go on, just time and ability letting me down Embarassed

The trick Matt taught me was that with the vacuum operation you don't need to mess with the cans, you just suck up the insides and the pins pop out...voila, no nasty bolts to undo or anything, just lever out told and bung in the new, about an hour and a half to two hours all in Very Happy though I did have a spare set of knuckles fitted to the lowering pins, so that saved a good amount of time.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 10/6/2012, 7:21 am

Nick wrote:Nope, not yet, I do have a set of compliance washers, I've also got a complete set of polybushes ready to go on, just time and ability letting me down Embarassed

The trick Matt taught me was that with the vacuum operation you don't need to mess with the cans, you just suck up the insides and the pins pop out...voila, no nasty bolts to undo or anything, just lever out told and bung in the new, about an hour and a bit all in Very Happy though I did have a spare set of knuckles fitted to the lowering pins, so that saved a good amount of time.

That sounds a lot easier than when I did mine, my pump doesn't have the vacuum feature Embarassed
gotenks1321
gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  adrianvvc 10/6/2012, 7:58 am

Nice work Nick.
I may need a little pump up soon.
adrianvvc
adrianvvc

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 10/6/2012, 8:35 am

No worries matey, let me know when you need it sorting
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 11/6/2012, 3:45 am

adrianvvc wrote:Nice work Nick.
I may need a little pump up soon.
Nick wrote:No worries matey, let me know when you need it sorting

Big eyes! Big eyes! Big eyes!
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 11/6/2012, 4:51 am

Only in your mind, ya sick puppy! Shocked
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 11/6/2012, 7:08 am

Glad to hear that Nick, should be looking and handling quite nicely now then Smile

Most likely it will only need a minor adjustment on the rear track, but before you take it for allignment each day for several days atleast before you go wire brush and then spray the rear arms with wd40 as this will aid when being adjusted so the nuts and arms shouldn't be as seized and also it means less likely the garage will round the corners off the arms and nuts Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 11/6/2012, 7:46 am

Does anyone have a copy of the Trophy geometry settings that I can have please? I fear the Stapletons we use around the corner, while half-decent, won't bother looking up the correct Trophy settings for mine and will instead just use the normal F settings...
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 11/6/2012, 8:40 am

Well done Nick, As far as wheel alignment goes i have yet to find anywhere that takes the the time to do it properly and all you get is wheels straight ahead.

Changing toe at the front can dramatically change the car for the better or worse but i haven't yet got my tophy in the sweet spot as previous cars,want it to turn in better.

Can anyone reccomend anywhere within reasonable distance from towcester?
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 11/6/2012, 8:56 am

Stu wrote:Well done Nick, As far as wheel alignment goes i have yet to find anywhere that takes the the time to do it properly and all you get is wheels straight ahead.

Changing toe at the front can dramatically change the car for the better or worse but i haven't yet got my tophy in the sweet spot as previous cars,want it to turn in better.

Ditto, Brown & Gammons got the closest for me but I don't go there anymore as we're no longer friends Laughing

I used to travel all the way down to Elite Direct in Rainham, they were pretty good and all petrolheads, but it's a loong way to go, plus quite expensive-£80 to £100 was the normal figure.

I had the company DS4 done at Stapletons around the corner and they made a pretty decent job of it, so for the money we pay (trade discount FTW) I'm tempted to let them loose on the F. £44 for front & rear toe adjustments I don't think is too bad on Hunter alignment kit.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 11/6/2012, 9:10 pm

Stu wrote:Well done Nick, As far as wheel alignment goes i have yet to find anywhere that takes the the time to do it properly and all you get is wheels straight ahead.

Hi Stu,

I use Total Car Care in Daventry for my 4 wheel alignment. The guys called Burt, has the right kit and looks after several classic rally cars (mustangs etypes etc).
The last time he did mine he asked what I weghed and chucked 14 stone of ballast on the drivers side and set it up as I drive it solo most of the time.
He has full computer access and calls off the trophy specs etc, I know he sorted Adrians Trophy and I think he's pretty happy with the results, worth dropping AdrianVVC a pm to see what he thought as its model specific for you.

cheers
nick

Last edited by Nick on 12/6/2012, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 12/6/2012, 8:14 am

Iain, BS in Sandy have electronic 4 wheel alignment and should know the difference between Trophy and standard settings.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 14/6/2012, 10:45 am

Thanks for the tip Nick , may well be worth the trip as i know from past experience it can really make a big difference.
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down