Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!!

+2
Lee121
Captain Slow
6 posters

Go down

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! Empty Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!!

Post  Captain Slow 2/4/2012, 9:44 am

*Looking towards Matt Parker*

While I've got the head off the Streetwise, my thoughts have turned to a VVC conversion...exactly what is required? It's already MEMS3 (so presume it'd just need remapping to accept the VVC head), it's a 1.4 so I presume it'd need 1.6 or 1.8 pistons & liners? And obviously the (presumably MEMS3) VVC head.

Would the IB5 crumble under the increased power/torque?

Last edited by Captain Slow on 12/9/2012, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! Empty Re: Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!!

Post  Lee121 3/4/2012, 4:56 am

At last!!!!.....I told you it would make an awesome sleeper car.......160 then get it mapped.....it'll be a tarmac ripper Laughing
Lee121
Lee121

Back to top Go down

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! Empty Re: Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!!

Post  Matt Parker 3/4/2012, 6:32 am

Remove the 1.4 and fit the complete 1.8 VVC engine, you can stay with the IB5 box you will just need to retain the original flywheel and clutch which will be more than up to the job of the VVC, remember the chocolate box(R65) has always been the easy route for Metro and Mini 1.8 conversions and if looked after they will last for miles and miles (my first 1.8 was used with a 1.6 R65 which in the end was coping with 190bhp going through it and in total covered about 120k miles, only just started to get noisy) Smile
As its a Streetwise(25) you can use a 25 GTi or ZR160 engine loom and just plug the entire thing in, as the body connections are all the same, and of course just plug in the complete ECU and SCU with fobs if you get a 04 ecu set, or just the ECU and recode the ecu to your current setup(I can do this if you need)
Also you can bolt on the 25gti/ZR160 manifold and cat pipe straight upto the rest of the system without cutting and welding to suit the vehicle like on any other vehicle.

A really easy conversion to do basically and one that I haven't heard done yet Very Happy

btw, did you manage to sort out the fobsd/scu?
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 3/4/2012, 6:38 pm

Yeah, sorted Matt-the contact in the fobs wasn't good enough, bending the "prongs" some more sorted it! Laughing

Dad has decided just to get the existing head overhauled Sad I WILL do that conversion when I buy it back eventually Very Happy it's pleasing to hear the IB5 will cope with it, that's a massive expense cut out if I don't have to buy a PG1 and linkage.

On a side note Matt-how much sideways movement is acceptable in the pistons? It's burning oil on startup so I'm suspecting valve stem seals (hence the head overhaul) but checking the pistons they seem to have a bit of movement. The bores look in good condition though.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 18/8/2012, 7:24 am

So...the receipient of the VVC engine *may* have changed...

Anyone get my drift here?
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 18/8/2012, 6:14 pm

so the conversion is on again???
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 18/8/2012, 9:38 pm

cejsmith wrote:so the conversion is on again???

Yeah, Dad has agreed to VVC the Streetwise. I'd lost a bit of interest in the 218is as the shell needs quite a lot of work. It'll make a more interesting end product too.

Matt-from what you say it looks like the BCU will need programming to the new (to the car) MEMS3 ECU for the VVC engine? I'm presuming the Streetwise's engine ECU won't run the VVC engine of course, or will it with a remap? (I was planning on getting the ECU remapped anyway once the conversion is done).
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 20/8/2012, 11:08 am

Tried replying last night but the site wasn't loading correctly Suspect anyway..

As your dropping the vvc into the streetwise you just need the engine loom from a25gti or zr160 so it lplugs straight into the car and then have the ECU re-programmed to the vehcile, which I can do in about 30 seconds Smile
The original ecu will run the engine fine, it will just be acting as a standard 1.8 mpi as you wont have any activation of the VVC actuators to alter the inlet cams duration making it operate as a solid cam large valve head which will be alittle be more pokey than the original but not quite as good as when the VVC is operating Smile
So if you like you can get it all working and then bring it to a meet and I can code the VVC ecu or pop over to me at some point and I'll do it, simples Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 20/8/2012, 9:00 pm

Happy days, I'll give you a shout when I'm done! I'll install it on the original Streetwise ECU to get it running.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  paulzs180 22/8/2012, 9:07 am

Captain Slow wrote:Happy days, I'll give you a shout when I'm done! I'll install it on the original Streetwise ECU to get it running.
A vvc powered streetwise will be awesome Smile
paulzs180
paulzs180

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee121 31/8/2012, 4:14 am

paulzr160 wrote:
Captain Slow wrote:Happy days, I'll give you a shout when I'm done! I'll install it on the original Streetwise ECU to get it running.
A vvc powered streetwise will be awesome Smile

Yes....my young padowan listened to me......a real street sleeper, mapped should be over 175bhp Cool Very Happy Very Happy
Lee121
Lee121

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 10/9/2012, 4:07 am

Well...it's done in the sense it's on the road...however Dad has now been bitten by the modifying bug and is requesting a short shifter! Laughing we've also got some 282mm brakes to source as the 262mm solid discs are already going blue Big eyes!

ITG is on order, hopefully arriving on Friday before the rolling road session on Sunday.

A few pictures...they're a bit pants as I'm not especially good at driving a camera.

Spec is so far:
1.8 VVC engine from a R25 GTI, A/C retained
PG1 gearbox, linkage & driveshafts with new Luk clutch
New radiator
Z&F tuning "Stage 2" remap
MG ZR160 springs/shocks

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! P1010135

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! P1010136

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! P1010138

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! P1010141

Streetwise VVC conversion...IT'S DONE!! P1010140
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 10/9/2012, 6:59 am

Good work matey, looks great. Looking forward to the rolling road figures Mad
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 10/9/2012, 8:33 am

Nick wrote:Good work matey, looks great. Looking forward to the rolling road figures Mad
So am I, up until the point it does 120bhp... Laughing
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 12/9/2012, 8:24 pm

Just noticed it's got a weepy diff oil seal (doh!), I must have caught it when installing the driveshaft. Nice Saturday morning job that will be then...
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 12/9/2012, 9:12 pm

looks really good mate, I can see you in print again soon!!!
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 12/9/2012, 9:22 pm

cejsmith wrote:looks really good mate, I can see you in print again soon!!!

Something may be happening on that front...Simon Goldswordy is popping down in October Very Happy
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 12/9/2012, 9:29 pm

Captain Slow wrote:

Something may be happening on that front...Simon Goldswordy is popping down in October Very Happy

remember though, when he takes pictures your not to drape yourself across the bonnet naked, it's not big or clever Laughing
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 13/9/2012, 5:47 am

cejsmith wrote:
Captain Slow wrote:

remember though, when he takes pictures your not to drape yourself across the bonnet naked, it's not big ...

Especially when it's chilly... Laughing
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down