Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork?

+2
Rich
Stu
6 posters

Go down

How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? Empty How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork?

Post  Stu 15/8/2011, 10:41 am

I need to get some stuck on lettering and dont want to take paint off with it and leave a nasty mess or sticky spot............ Rolling Eyes whats the best thing to do/use?

I'm sure plenty of you have done this before .......... any tips Question
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? Empty Re: How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork?

Post  Rich 15/8/2011, 3:58 pm

The best method is using a hairdryer and a lot of perseverance. If the stickers have been on for a while they will most likely be brittle and keep breaking. Also the paint will be a slightly different colour as the sun will have bleached it everywhere except where the stickers were so there will be some cutting in required and of course a lot of polishing!

Good luck...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork? Empty Re: How do you remove stickers without damaging paintwork?

Post  Tony 16/8/2011, 7:03 am

Yep, use a hairdryer and get them nice and warm to soften the glue. A fingernail is usually good for lifting the edges but if you bite yours a wooden lolly stick of cocktail stick can help.

To remove any residue from the glue a small amount of parafin on a cloth works pretty well, glass cleaner will do it but will take longer.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 16/8/2011, 9:04 am

hmmn.....sounds like fun Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the tips guys, it will keep me busy... looks like i just need to find someone prepared to lend me their hair dryer Laughing Laughing as i do not posecess one Exclamation
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 16/8/2011, 3:57 pm

A fiver from Argos! Laugh my a**e off!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 16/8/2011, 8:42 pm

BlueStu wrote:hmmn.....sounds like fun Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the tips guys, it will keep me busy... looks like i just need to find someone prepared to lend me their hair dryer Laughing Laughing as i do not posecess one Exclamation

An MGF/TF driver who does not carry a full hairdresser kit at all times! Shocked

What is the world coming to? Laugh my a**e off!
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 16/8/2011, 8:57 pm

Arn't hairdryers part of the standard kit, just check in the front it will be there with the rest of the factory tool kit Wink

Last edited by cejsmith on 16/8/2011, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell)
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 16/8/2011, 10:05 pm

cejsmith wrote:Arn't hairdryers part of the standard kit, just check in the front it will be there with the rest of the factor tool kit Wink
Poor soul... You're regressing to your MX5 days again... Coffee

You guys do nothing for our superior reputation you know. You should be spanked with a wet kipper for coming out with such comments... Roll on floor laughi

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 16/8/2011, 10:08 pm

BlueStu wrote:hmmn.....sounds like fun Rolling Eyes
So when do we get to find out what it is you are removing stickers from? Suspect

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 16/8/2011, 11:48 pm

Stu I hope it's not orange as your colour rhyming name game will have to stop!
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 17/8/2011, 7:51 am

I'm going away for some fresh yorkshire air next week and travel back sunday so if i get up early enough might make the sunday meet in cosgrove....if not will post some pics once stickers off Wink
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down