Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Induction for Trophy... what's best? I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Induction for Trophy... what's best?

4 posters

Go down

Induction for Trophy... what's best? Empty Induction for Trophy... what's best?

Post  RSTrophy 3/5/2011, 6:21 am

Well now the car is finally here, i've started looking closer at what it's like to drive and what i would like to do to it. On driving Nick's tuned VVC and scouring the forums, it seems the K&N 57i that has been fitted is not really the best option as all it's drawing in is hot air (there are the 2 hoses running down to the n/s air intake but we all know that doesn't do alot really). i just notice that the engine doesn't rev as freely initially, but is fine once up and running.
The options available as far as i know are:
1) to somehow enclose the K&N and get the pipes connected and 'sucking' from the intake.
2) try and get hold of a standard Trophy or TF160 airbox and maybe use a better filter.
3) get a cold air induction system, however i don't want to go mad on price as it's not extra power i'm after, it's the smoothness and free revving i want (K&N Apollo or PiperX Viper are in the price range).

Has anybody got any advice or experience to help me on my way?
I was hoping to have a look at what some of you guys have got at the next meet (this Thursday i believe??).

Let me know what you think?
RSTrophy
RSTrophy

Back to top Go down

Induction for Trophy... what's best? Empty Re: Induction for Trophy... what's best?

Post  Rich 3/5/2011, 7:41 am

From what I've read and what experience I've had with both of my VVC engined cars, the best bet is a standard airbox with a performance panel filter in it. The Trophys and TFs had far better airboxes than the original Fs and so do the job far more efficiently. As you say, the air gets sucked in so there isn't much to gain from putting the inlet in a place where air is forced in unless it's cold. Although the side vents aren't that efficient for capturing air, they are a source of cold air suitable for the fuel/air mix to be more effective in providing a smooth delivery. Therefore taking the pipe from the standard airbox directly to the side vent will give you what you're after and in fact not far off the gains to be had with a more expensive enclosed filter system.

Hope that helps!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Induction for Trophy... what's best? Empty Re: Induction for Trophy... what's best?

Post  Captain Slow 3/5/2011, 9:35 am

You're welcome to come out in my standard Trophy at the meet to see if there's any difference Smile mine has got clean OEM filters, fresh oil & plugs and that's it Laughing

I've got an ITG kit on my ZS180 and it is the b*llocks-I want one for the Trophy but they're about £400 due to the lashings of carbon fibre used...
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  adrianvvc 5/5/2011, 12:52 am

My Trophy was transformed when i had the ECU remapped. If it is more responsiveness you want, there is no easier way.
adrianvvc
adrianvvc

Back to top Go down

Post  RSTrophy 6/5/2011, 10:27 pm

Got my enclosed induction bits on their way so that should help with the heat soak. The remap sounds a good idea, and one to put somewhere near the top of my to-do list. How much do they cost generally?
RSTrophy
RSTrophy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 6/5/2011, 11:30 pm

If we can get four people together, we can get a group discount so the charge I think is £200. I'm up as one so you and two others gets us there! I'd be looking mid to end of June for a trip over. I might just start a new thread...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 7/5/2011, 11:43 pm

If you PM Copperknob on .org he was looking to have his redone at some point so could be interested in this.

I might be interested in having mine done depending on available pennies.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down