Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout

3 posters

Go down

sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout Empty sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout

Post  cejsmith 29/12/2011, 4:23 am

Now I've sold the volvo I want to get a runabout( for no more the £1500) I would like it to seat 4 people do a minimum of 25ish mpg and be fun and I would like it to be a hatch.I don't mind high mileage with a good history but I dont want rust.

Here are a few options I'm thinking about

Freelander
ZR160 or TD
ZS180

What does everyone think would be a good option or any other suggestions

cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout Empty Re: sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout

Post  Captain Slow 29/12/2011, 4:38 am

Col-have a drive of my ZS180 if you like, it's the best for handling but not sure if it's the most comfortable choice, depends what you like really...

How about a Streetwise? Very Happy TD for ultimate economy/pace but the 1.4 nips along OK.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout Empty Re: sold the volvo now so what to get for a runabout

Post  Sambomonkee 29/12/2011, 5:00 am

You would be bloody lucky to get a ZR TD for that money. But as you know ZS 180 MK2 fall into that range, and Mk1 Well below that. There is a ZR 160 with low miles on autotrader near me, so must be near you, that's 1500, but I can tell you they are not comy or quiet when cruising, more like a go-cart.

The guy I got the ZS is a X part supplier and can get good ZS 180 at a good price, I can ask him if you want.

Also Matts friend is selling a Mk2 ZS 180 salon with 46k for 1500??

EDIT: If you look at Kv6, make sure cambelts have been done, it can cost around 600 pounds to get them done Shocked
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 29/12/2011, 5:16 am

Captain Slow wrote:Col-have a drive of my ZS180 if you like, it's the best for handling but not sure if it's the most comfortable choice, depends what you like really...

How about a Streetwise? Very Happy TD for ultimate economy/pace but the 1.4 nips along OK.

Streetwise TD sounds a laugh, can't you get 150bhp without much trouble????

As for driving the zs that would be great, but if I did I would worry about getting it dirty Laughing
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 29/12/2011, 5:27 am

Avoid the puddles and you'll live Laughing

Think you can tune the L series to around 140bhp without too many issues and reasonably cheaply-TBH I'm not much of a dieselhead but loads of people on .org are at it.

A decent ZS180 would be better IMO than a caned ZR160 or a leggy TD. Apart from anything-the V6 has a heart and soul that a four pot just cannot get anywhere near Very Happy

If it's dry I'll bring the ZS to the January meet next week and you can have a go.

P.S. have you thought about a ZT/75? The V6's are very cheap and the 1.8 turbo's aren't far behind...
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 29/12/2011, 5:33 am

I cant really go for a ZT/75 as it's a bit big, Nicola is getting a new Avensis estate so we dont need two big cars. Also I think they do under 20,pg around town!!!
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 29/12/2011, 5:35 am

Captain Slow wrote:Avoid the puddles and you'll live Laughing

Think you can tune the L series to around 140bhp without too many issues and reasonably cheaply-TBH I'm not much of a dieselhead but loads of people on .org are at it.

A TD you have to do this in this order.

1. Decat it - Free
2. Boost Increase - Free
3. Get SDI's (it will smoke like crazy) - 60 pounds
4. Get a digital MAFAM, to turn down fueling lower down the range (to stop smoke) - 90 pounds
5. Get Reidy Remap - 250 pounds

After that you will be in 140-150 range.

Go any more than that and the turbo, fuel pump and head gasket will most likely fail.

Mine was running 130 ish bhp, because I never had the SDI's. Whats more impressive when you do this is the torque, its out of this world, if a little too much for the tyres Laughing

Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 29/12/2011, 6:17 am

cejsmith wrote:I cant really go for a ZT/75 as it's a bit big, Nicola is getting a new Avensis estate so we dont need two big cars. Also I think they do under 20,pg around town!!!

Get her a Smart car=sorted. Laughing

And you can't argue with a 50% increase in power for £400...I've been out in a tuned L-series and to be fair it was torquey as hell (impressively so), just sounded wank and smoked like Dot Cotton Laughing

I'd have one as a daily drive though, prospect of 40-50mpg and reasonable pace is an appealing one.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 29/12/2011, 5:48 pm

Any good here
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 30/12/2011, 12:18 am

Colin he wants 800 for that 25 TD, snap his arm off if I was you!

Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down