Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed?

4 posters

Go down

MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? Empty MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed?

Post  darrenzs 11/2/2010, 8:43 am

I'm thinking about buying an MG Maestro EFI or 2.0i.

I've always liked the Maestro, (my family had a 1.3 for over 20 years) and I now need a tow-car, currently I'm using the 214 but it lacks punch and I don't want to put a tow-bar on the ZS.

Specifically, what points should I check on a prospective purchase?

thanks,
Darren.
darrenzs
darrenzs

Back to top Go down

MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? Empty Re: MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed?

Post  Captain Slow 11/2/2010, 7:20 pm

There's been a buying guide recently in MG Enthusiast-I'll have a look tonight and see if I can see which issue. If you're coming to a meet soon I could bring it along for you?
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 11/2/2010, 8:07 pm

Darren

Good choice mate. I had the bigger Montego but absolutley loved it. Rust appears to be the main problem with Maestro's whatever the model MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 590841

There is a dedicated Maestro Register with a very good buyers guide on this website http://www.maestroturbo.org.uk/

Cheers

Scott the Scot!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 12/2/2010, 12:11 am

Well as the founder of the MG 'M' Group and having owned 6 of these wonderful cars, I feel I should reply here!

As Dave has already said, the biggest problem with the old Cowley FWD MGs was/is rust. The main areas to check are the wheel arches, sills and the bottom of all the doors. The Maestro bodyshell had many seams that were always prone to the 'tin worm'. The wheel arches never had any protection from chips received from kicked up stuff off the road, so immediate water ingress was common on even quite new cars at the time. The sills tended to be an extension of the seam problem. I bought one for spares which had a hole in the nearside sill big enough to get my fist through! As for the doors, that was down to terrible drainage when the rain when down the windows.

The next thing to watch is the brake system. After driving your ZS, you'd think the Maestro hasn't got any! Even the limited edition turbo used the same single pot calipers on vented discs which although worked eventually were rather spongy and nothing like today's set up.

Apart from that, they are pretty robust. Along with the Maestros, I also owned 4 Montegos, 1 of which was a Turbo and one was a custom built Estate, recently seen in the MG Owners' Club magazine.

I dig out some pics and post them here later...

Rich

P.S. I had to laugh when you said about the Maestro 1.3. That was probably the worst looking one of the range IMO! Laugh my a**e off!
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  darrenzs 12/2/2010, 4:47 am

Not quite Rich Laughing

Ours was a 1.3 HLE, so it did have the rear strakes (or to put it another way 1/2 an MG spolier Cool )
Dunno why I keep writing in the past tense because it still sits at the back of the yard!
Sills are perforated, as are most of the panels now!
So I know a bit about Maestro rust Mad
and brakes!

But, I don't know anything about the MG Maestro 2.0 engine, are there any great issues here that need looking for?

I'm thinking of buying one for preservation, summer use only, that I can take to shows and that will easily pull my caravan!
darrenzs
darrenzs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 12/2/2010, 8:42 am

The grand old 'O' Series 8-Valve 2-Litre engine was the successor to the 'B' Series engine as found in the MGB and was actually intended for the shelved MGB replacement. What can I say about it? Well, it's rock solid! I never heard of anyone having a head gasket failure for start although they did have a habit of weeping a little oil from one corner, but never of a fatal nature. The standard spec was 116bhp and torque was low down in the revs which meant the cars pulled very well in their fuel injected guise. The turbos were a funny bunch as they stuck with a single SU carburettor which meant that until the turbo cut in at around 3,700 revs, the cars were rather gutless. This led to many turbo owners swapping the engine to the twin-cam fuel injected 'M' series and the later, lighter, 'T' series which were all variants on the good old 'O' series.

So, in answer to your question, the 2.0i cars were true workhorses and the MG Maestro will be fine pulling a caravan. In fact, I used to pull a small caravan with my 2.0i Montego and regularly forgot it was there. I could have sworn that was a tailgating transit van when I was doing 85 on the way to Cornwall... Laugh my a**e off!

Now, as we're talking FWD 80s classics, here are a few 'nostalgic' pics. Apologies for the quality, but this shows how compact cameras have improved over the years!

My first MG - A Maestro 1600 'S' Series with twin Webber Carbs!
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 9cf77c13

My favourite Maestro - MG 2.0i in Strata Grey (a limited edition colour) with mods
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? C0f5b736
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 8ffaca41

My first Monty - A 2.0i
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 0f321c71

My Turbo - Slightly modded
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? E18a31e4
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 70b59ced

And lastly my project Montego - 2.0i with genuine Tickford bodykit. This car, famously known as 'Jox' in the MG world and featured in several magazines including the front cover of 'Safety Fast' was bought by my dad from a Cowley Rover employee who had every extra available fitted to it. It was orginally British Racing Green but a combination of rust breaking through and the fact that there was a brand new tahiti blue Rover coupe sat in our local Rover dealer teasing me led to it being resprayed in my favourite colour. And you all know where that led after!!!!
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 6f189a7d
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 40cce59f

And here's a blast from the past. Ther original MG 'M' Group committee posing under the trees at the first gathering of the club in 1993 at Rockingham Castle...
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? D39f72fa

Rich Cool

P.S. The 5-spokes were on the white one when I bought it and stayed with me for the rest of my MG 'M' days. I'd moved on to other things by the time MGF wheels were starting to appear on Maestros and Montegos!
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 13/2/2010, 2:20 am

Brilliant picks Rich. Is that your secret son standing beside the Strata Grey Maestro MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? 356801

Scott the Scot!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  darrenzs 13/2/2010, 5:54 am

and here is my secret son in '89 Laughing
MG Maestro 2.0i advice needed? MeandItal
darrenzs
darrenzs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down