Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Headlights I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Headlights I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Headlights I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Headlights I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Headlights I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Headlights I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Headlights I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Headlights I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Headlights I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Headlights I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Headlights

+2
Dark Knight
dressur
6 posters

Go down

Headlights Empty Headlights

Post  dressur 30/10/2008, 4:51 am

The nice mechanic adjusted the headlights when he MOT'd Wriggly, but now I can't see where I'm going in the dark!!

Anyone got any bright ideas?
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Headlights Empty Re: Headlights

Post  Dark Knight 30/10/2008, 4:53 am

you got an auto adjustment thing below and to left of steering wheel???
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 30/10/2008, 5:07 am

Nope. These are classic british headlights that are adjusted with small gears behind each light...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 30/10/2008, 5:23 am

dressur wrote:The nice mechanic adjusted the headlights when he MOT'd Wriggly, but now I can't see where I'm going in the dark!!

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Take the shades off!!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 30/10/2008, 5:32 am

oh i got it easy then!!!

Ally your gonna have to get your hands mucky... although actually its not usually to hard a job!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 30/10/2008, 6:12 am

But surely if the garage set them at the corrct level -they wouldn't be legal if I hoicked them up again?
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 30/10/2008, 6:32 am

dressur wrote:But surely if the garage set them at the corrct level -they wouldn't be legal if I hoicked them up again?

i have always found when your used to lights at a certain level,when adjusted to a lower legal level your not used to it and takes time to adjust. You could fit some brighter bulbs. I found they are actually much better..... My BMW lights were bight bulbs and could see really well when i got the TF it took some getting used to as it was hard to see in dark, recently bought some ultra bright bulbs and they are great!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 30/10/2008, 6:34 am

dressur wrote:But surely if the garage set them at the corrct level -they wouldn't be legal if I hoicked them up again?

Also when you next gonna have an MOT? how many times have you been puled in last 12 months and they were illegal? is your safety and confidence more important or a slight adjustment in the lights???
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 30/10/2008, 6:55 am

Dark Knight wrote:

Also when you next gonna have an MOT? how many times have you been puled in last 12 months and they were illegal? is your safety and confidence more important or a slight adjustment in the lights???

You have a point - I don't like driving in the dark much as it is! And I've never been pulled (by the police!!) so they can't have been too dazzling! I suspect the crap MG headlights aren't a problem in the same way as poxy HD bulbs - which I hate driving towards!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 30/10/2008, 6:57 am

dressur wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:

You have a point - I don't like driving in the dark much as it is! And I've never been pulled (by the police!!) so they can't have been too dazzling! I suspect the crap MG headlights aren't a problem in the same way as poxy HD bulbs - which I hate driving towards!!

Well i think you may have your answer!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 30/10/2008, 6:03 pm

dressur wrote:... I suspect the crap MG headlights aren't a problem in the same way as poxy HD bulbs - which I hate driving towards!!
I have to say that I've always found the MGF headlights to be quite effective! Mind you, their effectiveness is often diminished when the chrome reflectors go nasty Mine are actually in very good condition so that may the the difference. I also run with high brightness white bulbs (Philips ones) but that's only because I don't like the yellowish light. Have a look at your reflectors. It may be that they need rechroming as well as putting back to the position you preferred.

... and I love night driving! Big eyes!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 30/10/2008, 7:31 pm

Rich Stone wrote:
dressur wrote:... I suspect the crap MG headlights aren't a problem in the same way as poxy HD bulbs - which I hate driving towards!!
I have to say that I've always found the MGF headlights to be quite effective! Mind you, their effectiveness is often diminished when the chrome reflectors go nasty Mine are actually in very good condition so that may the the difference. I also run with high brightness white bulbs (Philips ones) but that's only because I don't like the yellowish light. Have a look at your reflectors. It may be that they need rechroming as well as putting back to the position you preferred.

... and I love night driving! Big eyes!

Rich

My headlights are in quite good nick, so I think I need to readjust them a bit!

Let me rephrase that! I love driving at night, on decent wide roads, or if there is some street lighting! I don't enjoy the twisty unlit roads round me which people drive like idiots on!
I can't see very well in the dark for some reason - must eat more carrots
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 30/10/2008, 9:13 pm

Ally - adjusting them is easy, however i would defo recommend some brighter bulbs like Rich said, 100w should do the trick!

I always find switching my fog lights on, helps me see on them twisty unlit roads! you could always purchase some fog lights?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 30/10/2008, 11:46 pm

Seb wrote:Ally - adjusting them is easy, however i would defo recommend some brighter bulbs like Rich said, 100w should do the trick!

I always find switching my fog lights on, helps me see on them twisty unlit roads! you could always purchase some fog lights?
I didn't upgrade the wattage on mine though. Especially after an incident I had back in the MG Maestro days where I put a pair in and the wiring melted.. and I've heard of this happening on an 'F too! If you're going down that path, I'd use another relay and some heavier duty wire. Also, bear in mind that if you go to a fussy MoT tester, they will fail.

Fog lights are a great idea. That's the reason I fitted some. I've set them so that they light the grass verges - a low and wide pattern - which compliments main beam on the twisty country roads. I chose to go aftermarket with them as the adjustment was greater. But all fogs should light low wide and not too far in the distance. Otherwise, you get fog 'blindness' when it is actually foggy! When you see a car with it's fog lights on and they are shining into your face, they are totally out of adjustment!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 31/10/2008, 1:55 am

Rich Stone wrote:I didn't upgrade the wattage on mine though. Especially after an incident I had back in the MG Maestro days where I put a pair in and the wiring melted.. and I've heard of this happening on an 'F too! If you're going down that path, I'd use another relay and some heavier duty wire. Also, bear in mind that if you go to a fussy MoT tester, they will fail.

Fog lights are a great idea. That's the reason I fitted some. I've set them so that they light the grass verges - a low and wide pattern - which compliments main beam on the twisty country roads. I chose to go aftermarket with them as the adjustment was greater. But all fogs should light low wide and not too far in the distance. Otherwise, you get fog 'blindness' when it is actually foggy! When you see a car with it's fog lights on and they are shining into your face, they are totally out of adjustment!

Rich

I must admit i haven't upgraded to 100w in the Grape but i did in my old fiesta when i had it and they made a vast improvement. However from the sounds of it you are probably best to stay clear if the wires melt!

Rich I wasnt aware fog lights could be adjusted? I thought the brackets just screw on to the inside of the bumper! is there and adjuster located somewhere?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedhead 31/10/2008, 4:08 am

yeah try some whiter or brighter bulbs and leave them set where they are coz you dont want to be blinding on coming traffic - what they going hit if they stray over the white line!!! Shocked

I use my fogs as 'driving lights' ie only in heavy rain, or on unlit country roads, i dotn like driving round with them on if i dont need them, but they really help visibility as they are low down.
Zedhead
Zedhead

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 31/10/2008, 4:24 am

Seb wrote:Rich I wasnt aware fog lights could be adjusted? I thought the brackets just screw on to the inside of the bumper! is there and adjuster located somewhere?
Yours aren't! But I've got micro fogs mounted under the front number plate which are!

Headlights Ollie04

You can even see them on my avatar!!!!

They're going to be replaced (with new of the same design) as the brackets are a bit rusty and the black paint on the back is slightly flakey. That's what four years of road $hite being thrown at them does... I keep forgetting you haven't seen my car in the flesh, so to speak. Sorry!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: