Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP!

2 posters

Go down

AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! Empty AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP!

Post  StevePem 2/8/2013, 4:47 am

So, I was all ready to come to Overstone. Turn the key, bit of a wurring sound then nothing! Thought maybe the battery had gone flat as it had not been run much being in the bodyshop. Connected up my "power station" still nothing - tried re-synching the key fob, can't use the emergency code as the key no longer operates the remote locking since Ed had the handle apart to fit his chrome!

What else can I try? I have disconnected the battery, thought if I leave that 20 minutes or so it may all sync up when I reconnect - clutching at straws really

So, don't think I will make it tonight
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP! Empty Re: AGHHHHHHHH Car Won't Start! HELP!

Post  StevePem 2/8/2013, 5:20 am

Well, disconnecting + reconnecting the battery worked.
Just been for a quick spin and locked the car. If it starts when I go back out I will come to Overstone - may need some help later though if it won'rt start coming back!
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 2/8/2013, 5:59 am

Short lived success. Did not start when I went back out - totally confused :-(
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 4/8/2013, 5:21 am

try again posting, stupid site just refreshed the page and didn't post when clicking send Sad

Whats is actually doing?

When putting ignition on do you get all dash lights on as normal and hear the fuel pump prime?

When cranking(starting) is it turning over normally but not firing? or does it sound off as in the starter motor just spinning(whining noise) or clicking, the start motor could be an issue with it either being on its last legs and need replacing or the wiring terminals are corroded and need cleaning for get a good contact.
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 4/8/2013, 8:11 am

Hi Matt

The dash lights are normal brightness, I hear the pump priming then the solanoid klunk then nothing - does not turn over at all. Or almost not at all. It fired up once on Thursday after I had disconnected and reconnected the battery (which I am sure was a coincidence)and fired up once today. On the two times it has started, it has been a "healthy" fire up, turn the key and instant start.

I checked the starter spade connector and was not really very bad, I cleaned it anyway and straight after that it started but by the time I had put everything back together again, it would not start.

So I suppose could be the starter motor winding? Every time I try to start moves the motor a fraction and once in a blue moon it hits a good spot? Could be a dodgy wire somewhere?

Any thoughts?
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 4/8/2013, 8:13 am

I did not unfasten and clean the bolt on terminal, which I guess I should have done given the amount of effort required to get to the starter versus the small amount of effort needed to check the terminal
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 4/8/2013, 8:45 am

Make sure that both terminals are clean on the starter and the wiring fittings, if your lucky its just the poor contacts but more than likely it'll be a starter motor required.
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 4/8/2013, 9:06 am

The terminals look pretty clean - no gunk or anything so I think a new starter is most likely outcome
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down