Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

DVLA WTF! - Save Grover!

+2
Stu
Nick
6 posters

Go down

DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! Empty DVLA WTF! - Save Grover!

Post  Nick 3/2/2012, 5:48 am

So my dad re-insured his Rover 414 yesterday and got a phone call today from the insurers to say they wouldnt insure it as it was a Cat B write off in January 2000. Big eyes!

Now I know the history of his car from 2003, dads had it since 2009 it's always been insured and taxed in the 12 years since it was apparently 'written off'.

The DVLA have got in touch with him, double checked everything and ordered him not to drive the car and to have it scrapped.

I strongly suspect some idiot has typed something into the system wrongly, but there is no recourse, the car goes tomorrow.

The 'computer says no' ineptitude just stuns me. That or they let a cat B car run unchecked for 12 years. Rolling Eyes Just stunned.

Last edited by Rich on 4/2/2012, 7:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited to read 414 instead of 214)
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

DVLA WTF! - Save Grover! Empty Re: DVLA WTF! - Save Grover!

Post  Stu 3/2/2012, 11:10 am

Thats just crazy nick!! Like you say how has been ok for 12 years and only now picked up??
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 3/2/2012, 4:54 pm

Did you mean 414 or has your dad moved Grover on?
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 3/2/2012, 6:30 pm

Oops yup 414!! Unfortunately it is Grover, it's absolutely ridiculous and totally bad of the DVLA it's sailed it's last 2 MOTS only needed new brake discs and pads, had 2 new wings fitted and an interior swap, so looks pretty tidy. This is administration gone wrong as far as I can see, but obviously we have no recourse good old civil service!
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 3/2/2012, 6:56 pm

Well that's just rediculous! In all the time Kate had it, we had insurance with Direct Line and you'd think they would have done a thorough check on it. Also, it had three taxation class changes - by the DVLA - in the time of our ownership (Disabled to PLG, then back to disabled, then back to PLG for your dad) so why the hell didn't it get flagged then? It would have to have been pretty serious to be a Cat B and there were absolutely no signs of that. The only other thing I could think of was that the car's identity was swapped with another one...

I reckon I'd be tempted to hide the car somewhere so they can't take it away and then dispute it. After all, the car is perfectly safe and has passed many MoTs, even having a thorough check by our very own Mr Parker. There is nothing wrong with it! Mad

But, if the worst comes to the worst, it would be worth stripping for parts as you only have to look on .org to see the 400s are still quite popular. Might get some pennies back for your dad. Just as a matter of interest, what wheels has it got on it at the moment? And can you pull the rear spoiler off again, without breaking it? Twisted Evil
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 3/2/2012, 8:32 pm

If its a CAT B it should be registered on the insurance database, can't the DVLA tell you what event caused it to be a CAT B ??????
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  adrianvvc 3/2/2012, 11:32 pm

Is there an appeal proceedure for an administrative mistake?
adrianvvc
adrianvvc

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 4/2/2012, 12:45 am

Apparently cars arent checked for cat B or A status as a matter of course (as they should've been destroyed), only Cat C or D. I assume this insurance company was the one that previously paid out on it that's why its come to light.
My dad has to send of the destruction certificate NO appeals process, they have checked their records and that's yer lot and it has to be done quickly.
Oh and Rich as well as the class changes dad had a new Red log book sent through last year, no probs and no mention of write off status.
I guess if it was worth loads of money then legal fees and arguments would be worth having but for the sake of £300-400 it's not worth the hassle.
Dads taking the new Battery and stereo out, but as he has no garage cant do much else. It has steel wheels as the alloys were pourous and wouldnt hold air (I think They are in dads Shed)
And yup Rich the car is straight as an arrow, I'm sure its an admin error. I just give up, so pigged off right now, its a perfectly useable car, what a waste Sad
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  darrenzs 4/2/2012, 8:42 am

There are many errors on DVLA/insurance databases.

When I went to insure my inherited Astra, I found out the wrong spec has been entered on the main database- so when an insurance company types in the registration- the wrong details are used to work out a quote!
The error had raised the ins grp from 12 to 25!
But no one would believe me when I told them of the mistake- the computer was right!
Full stop.
In desperation I thought I was going to have to sell the car, I was not going to pay twice the premium for a clerical mistake.

But thankfully, I did eventually find an insurance company where common sense prevailed, after they had seen written evidence- a copy of the original sales invoice from the dealer.

Computers are only as accurate as the data input clerk.

darrenzs
darrenzs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 4/2/2012, 7:34 pm

I've changed the thread name slightly as I feel this has become another challenge that we must help your dad win. Grover may be an old 414 that's not worth a whole lot financially but it's a fully working Rover and in pretty good shape. There's no reason to be scrapping it. We need to keep as many on the road as we can without the DVLA screwing up... and we're in a car saving mood at the moment anyway!

"We shall fight them on the phones, we shall fight the in the emails... etc!"

Shocked Headbanger
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 4/2/2012, 8:41 pm

Do a quick car data check on it and you should see what and when they think the cat b happen.

Also go back to the original insurance company and find out what the database actually says, you may be able to trace it back. I would have thought though for the car to b a cat b in 2000 there would have been major damage that you would have been able to see. Could the car have been cloned in 2000 on to another Rover???
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down