Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's

3 posters

Go down

Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's Empty Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's

Post  c-j 12/4/2010, 9:44 am

Continuing Nick's bravery theme, I've had a situation thrust upon me...

O/S front wing shot up a quite beautiful shot of water & steam the other day. Fortunately the car was on the drive at the time - pulling off the slam panel confirms a 4inch split on top hose from jubilee clip downwards - must have propogated with some power. Hose is original & doesn't look too bad otherwise, but there is slight evidence of perishing of the rubber near front end.

I was able to switch off within seconds so hopefully damage not too serious - however hope it was just one of those things, rather than just a symptom of some other issue causing pressure build up??? F has been SORNed for 1st time & giving it fortnightly start-up - it had been idling for approx 30mins, rad fan had come on (and gone off I think). Only unusual thing I can think of is rad fan doesn't often come on - but maybe system got slightly hotter than norm, and system went at weakest spot.

Questions
Is is unusual for this hose to split in this way? or a symptom of unusually high pressure/blockage?
Anything that could cause pressure build up - i now understand there is a jiggle valve that I can try to blow on to check if working - anything else?

As you all know, in any other car changing a hose, refilling & bleeding would be easy - however I now have car which can't easily be driven. Options are:

1. temporarily seal hose (how?) and drive 40mins to trusted garage - but exp tank empty so would still need to bleed
  2. inspired by Nick, jack up, replace hose, bleed very carefully, bleed again, and hope for the best. As long as the 3 bleed points open ok, it should be do-able. Could always then drive to garage for pressure test?
  3. your man Russell?

Ref Russell, as he's mobile, does anyone know if he does vacuum/pressure fill - and can he pressure test afterwards?

Thoughts appreciated,
Thanks
Chris
c-j
c-j

Back to top Go down

Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's Empty Re: Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's

Post  Nick 12/4/2010, 9:02 pm

I wouldnt be too inspired by me, I bottled it and called Russel in Laughing he's over my way on the 26th of April in the afternoon, so you may be able to get him to do yours afterwards?

Split hoses seem to be getting reasonably common on early Fs, I know of at least 4 that have had pipes go this year (though usually at the engine side a T-piece pipe) I guess 15 years or so is the service life for these type of items, so hopefully nothing more sinister than that.

...oh and you still need to send me your paypal details so I can sort you soem cash for the CD player.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's Empty Re: Spilt top hose - and more bravey dilema's

Post  Tony 12/4/2010, 9:49 pm

We had a pin hole in a hose a while back. Made lots of steam from not much water and fortunately further complications were avoided as I stopped and switched off before the expansion tank was emptied.

I had it taken to the MGOC workshop by the AA and it was repaired the same day along with new SS pipes underneath the car. There didn't apear to be any reason for the hole apart from age of the parts.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  c-j 13/4/2010, 2:43 am

Tony,
Thanks for your thoughts. Glad you were able to limit damage - though a fountain of steam can be a nice visible clue!

Nick,
Thanks for the tip on the T-piece one. Did you consider changing all hoses? bit expensive I know. The 2 rad side ones are £20-£25 each - the more complex engine side even more so.

ta
C.
c-j
c-j

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum