Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Idling Speed I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Idling Speed

4 posters

Go down

Idling Speed Empty Idling Speed

Post  Seb 12/3/2009, 6:26 pm

Oh dear I think this is going to be a bad day already!

I have just drove to work this morning and the Grape is Idling just under 3000 RPM Shocked Shocked

I have noticed the revs hanging on sometime when I slow down at Junctions, but this morning was ridiculous! I have just adjusted the screw on the TB with my key in the car park at work and hope that makes a bit of difference.

It's a bit strange as when we fitted the new TB it was idling fine, now it has gone up? has anyone ever heard of this happening before Question ...Would it be something to do with the Taipan Question or a sensor maybe? Dunno!

If it carries on I might not be able to make the meet on sunday Crying or Very sad
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Idling Speed Empty Re: Idling Speed

Post  Dark Knight 12/3/2009, 7:11 pm

i believe there is some kind of reset procedure that may work for this, something along the lines of turn ignition key to position II then presss accelorator 5 times.... or something like that

EDIT: rembered now, its the reset of the stepper motor and you should try this

your ignition key set to II, then press the throttle pedel down 5 times completely and then start the engine. (or some people say switch the key off and then start the engine... )

Hope this helps

Paul

Last edited by Dark Knight on 12/3/2009, 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 12/3/2009, 7:13 pm

Dark Knight wrote:i believe there is some kind of reset procedure that may work for this, something along the lines of turn ignition key to position II then presss accelorator 5 times.... or something like that

Paul

What does it reset???
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 12/3/2009, 7:16 pm

Seb wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:i believe there is some kind of reset procedure that may work for this, something along the lines of turn ignition key to position II then presss accelorator 5 times.... or something like that

Paul

What does it reset???

just updated last post with more info!!!!
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 12/3/2009, 7:18 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
Seb wrote:

Paul

What does it reset???

just updated last post with more info!!!!

Cheers DK - I'll give it a whirl at lunch and see if it makes a difference Suspect
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 12/3/2009, 7:23 pm

might need to try it a few times, but hopefully should work
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 12/3/2009, 8:37 pm

Seb the stepper motor reset procedure is deffo the best place to start, if that doesnt work then also check the elecrtrical connection plug to the stepper motor is in properly. When I first fitted my TB I forgot to connect it up and it ran fine to start with then went to about 1600 revs at idle.
Basically I'd been impatient and not reconnected everything properly. Embarassed
Have a good check around the general TB area for pipes hoses connections as that'd be my suspicion, as you've done loads of work in that area.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/3/2009, 9:00 pm

Oh dear Seb. Well, once you have reset the stepper motor and checked those things, then it sounds like the ECU is effectively putting the choke on. This would cause over fuelling, and will potentially cause permanent damage to the engine. However, the good news is that it should be relatively easy to fix. I'm guessing that as well as the slow to drop to idle, and the high idling speed, you are probably getting some flat spots when you blip the throttle.

In a lot of cases, you will find the problem is with the coolant temperature sensor and/or the wiring loom to it. So, after trying those things mentioned above, you will need to remove the engine inspection panel, and then look at the top of the engine, towards the middle of the car, at the front. You will find a brown coloured plastic thing that goes into the engine that has wires going to it (i'll try and find you a picture). There is also another sensor below this, but it is probably the top one. To remove the electrical connector there is a metal wire clip that goes around it that you will need to squeeze so you can pull the connector off. Try removing the connector, and checking the wire further along to make sure it all looks ok. Give the connector a clean with some WD40 and then put it back on. See if that does it, otherwise it may be a case of doing a swap of the sensor, which can be done in situ, as long as you are quick and don't let too much coolant out.

Do a search around the place for 'swapping coolant temperature sensor' on some of the MGF forums/websites, and you will probably find some detailed instructions. If I get a chance later I will try and find some details for you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/3/2009, 10:18 pm

Here you go - http://www.mgfcar.de/coolant_sensor_change/

Don't go all the way through this with a view to swapping it, but merely to locate it and check the wire/connector. If you need to swap it, then let us know and I will find you some better instructions, as thery aren't very descriptive and you need to re-fill the coolant expansion bottle, etc.

I would suggest that after re-seating the connection, don't put everything back together, but start it up and see what it's like. If still a prob, give it another wiggle, and try again, then if still a prob, then we can go through the details for what to do as next step.

Hope that gets you sorted.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 12/3/2009, 11:34 pm

Dark Knight wrote:ignition key set to II, then press the throttle pedel down 5 times completely and then start the engine. (or some people say switch the key off and then start the engine... )
Yep, you do have to turn off before trying again. That's because the ECU runs through a start-up check which happens when ignition is first turned on.

Seb, you may remember that we did the reset routine when we first fitted the TB. But I'm wondering whether some oil could have got into the connector, bearing in mind the lack of seal we discovered on your cam cover oil filler cap. So as Stewart suggested, take off the connectors and clean them up with some good old WD40. And you'll need to put the tickover screw back to where it was or it'll just stall when everything else is working again!

Give us a shout on Saturday morning if you're still struggling. We can do the coolant sensor if need be. Done a couple before...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 13/3/2009, 12:10 am

Cheers Guys for all your help!

As I urgently need my car tomorrow I have had to take it to Clifton Lane! I know I wont have the chance to clean all the connectors tonight and check everything before it gets dark!

I told them it was fine for about two weeks but noticed it sometimes sticking when I slowed down at a junction. Martin told me that it might just need programming into the computer system and resetting properly. He will give me a call later to see what the outcome is!

Hopefully it wont be too expensive but just incase can anyone tell me where I can find a money tree? Laughing
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 13/3/2009, 12:17 am

Seb wrote:
Hopefully it wont be too expensive but just incase can anyone tell me where I can find a money tree? Laughing

yes sure!!!

Go to the nearest army stores shop and purchase

Balaclava
Gloves
Fake pistol

Then procedd to the nearest bank.........

(should this fail i cannot accept responsibility) Smile
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 13/3/2009, 12:33 am

As quick as that I've just received a call from Clifton Lane to say that they have reset it and it is running fine!

I'm still a little dubious as to if this is a permanent fix or if it is actually one of the sensors/connectors which is faulty?

They also mentioned that the metal jubilee clip attached to the silicon pipe and the throttle body actually distorts the shape of the TB which can cause this to happen?? Has anyone else heard of this? if so what are you supposed to use instead of a metal jubilee clip?

Rich - that might be why there wasnt one on the old pipe and old throttle body in the first place?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 13/3/2009, 12:37 am

Good news Seb. Yes I have heard of the TB getting deformed due to the jubilee clip. Trick is, don't do it up too tight!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 13/3/2009, 1:02 am

scubastewart wrote:Good news Seb. Yes I have heard of the TB getting deformed due to the jubilee clip. Trick is, don't do it up too tight!

Cheers Stewart - yeah if it works it only cost me £25!

Oooooh might have a slight problem there then as the silicon tube that came with the Taipan was 'only just' long enough to fit to the TB (that is at it's full extension as well). We had to do it up tight to keep it on! Do you think MGF centre can order another longer silicon pipe so i dont need a Jubilee clip?

Cheers
Seb
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 13/3/2009, 1:14 am

You'll probably be ok, it's just that some people get a little carried away doing up the jubilee clips and really turn them excessively tight. Just being sensible is the key!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 13/3/2009, 2:38 am

scubastewart wrote:You'll probably be ok, it's just that some people get a little carried away doing up the jubilee clips and really turn them excessively tight. Just being sensible is the key!

I will try loosening it a bit then and hope it stays on! Shocked
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 13/3/2009, 4:15 am

Seb, what you have to remember is, if it aint broke, don't fix it! I'd leave it as it is....

However, if you want to play, then remove the jubilee clip and use a zip tie instead, as that is the safest thing!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 13/3/2009, 7:06 am

Seb wrote:Rich - that might be why there wasnt one on the old pipe and old throttle body in the first place?
We definitely didn't do it up tight enough to affect the throttle body. It was just enough to nip it on. Bearing in mind it would need to warp it far enough to affect the butterfly's movement, the clip would have to be VERY tight. Had it been on a plast body? Well, that's a different story...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 13/3/2009, 11:46 pm

I picked up the Grape yesterday evening from Clifton Lane, The TB adjusting screw is now set to perfection and the Idling speed is correct. Very Happy

However I am now finding the revs aren't dropping very quickly when changing down gears etc (a bit like a slightly sticking TB). On the computer diagnoses at Clifton lane it showed as a sticking TB however Martin (I think it was him, I can never remember the two guys names) said the TB isn't actually sticking.

Could this be caused by too much air from the new Taipan and TB and a Standard exhaust not letting it out quick enough???

Although this is still a little annoying, it is soooooo much better than the revs sitting at 3000RPM at the traffic lights! Shocked
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 14/3/2009, 4:55 am

Seb wrote:Could this be caused by too much air from the new Taipan and TB and a Standard exhaust not letting it out quick enough???
Seb, I think you might be getting a little paranoid about the fitting of your taipan... There's no way that having a virtually unrestricted airflow is going to make that much difference. However, I'm now wondering whether the airflow sensor that's in the throttle body may need a clean. Or perhaps the stepper motor is a little sticky. It may be worth popping off the TB and giving it a good old clean, inside and out. spanner spanner

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 14/3/2009, 6:17 pm

Rich Stone wrote:
Seb wrote:Could this be caused by too much air from the new Taipan and TB and a Standard exhaust not letting it out quick enough???
Seb, I think you might be getting a little paranoid about the fitting of your taipan... There's no way that having a virtually unrestricted airflow is going to make that much difference. However, I'm now wondering whether the airflow sensor that's in the throttle body may need a clean. Or perhaps the stepper motor is a little sticky. It may be worth popping off the TB and giving it a good old clean, inside and out. spanner spanner

Rich

Na not worried about the Taipan at all....It is the bollox! Cool

I am just curious why it was running fine for almost two weeks and now the TB seems to be sticking a little? I gave it a good clean before it went in and greased it up! I will have a go at cleaning the sensors this afternoon! need to find my can of WD40 first! ha ha I know it's in that shed somewhere! Suspect
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 14/3/2009, 9:19 pm

Buy another can... You can never have too much! Laughing

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator