Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Spitting , fuming etc I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Spitting , fuming etc

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spitting , fuming etc Empty Spitting , fuming etc

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 8:18 pm

OK - MOT expires tomorrow, no sign of Corin, who was supposed to pick the car up last night, and he isn't answering the phone.
What can I check myself before I take it to the test centre, and is there anything that F's are prone to failing on?
I've never put a car through an MOT myself before, have always sent it in for a service and asked them to get it MOT'd too, so have no idea what needs doing!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Spitting , fuming etc Empty Re: Spitting , fuming etc

Post  Rich 24/10/2008, 8:25 pm

If it's a decent garage, anything it fails on you should be able to put right and take it back within a certain period and have it retested for nothing. I usually get my cars tested prior to them running out, so I can still drive between sorting the problems out!

Did your 'F have any comments with it's last MoT? Worth checking that. Do all the obvious things like all lights working when they should, tyres having decent tread and brakes actually stopping you. Then, there's the dreaded emmissions which my 'F has just scraped in on for the last 2 years, but there's not much you can do until you know if and what the problem there is. And as Paul has said, a patched up hose shouldn't result in a fail.

Bite the bullet and send it through. You could be pleasantly surprised...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 8:28 pm

Rich Stone wrote:If it's a decent garage, anything it fails on you should be able to put right and take it back within a certain period and have it retested for nothing. I usually get my cars tested prior to them running out, so I can still drive between sorting the problems out!

Did your 'F have any comments with it's last MoT? Worth checking that. Do all the obvious things like all lights working when they should, tyres having decent tread and brakes actually stopping you. Then, there's the dreaded emmissions which my 'F has just scraped in on for the last 2 years, but there's not much you can do until you know if and what the problem there is. And as Paul has said, a patched up hose shouldn't result in a fail.

Bite the bullet and send it through. You could be pleasantly surprised...

Rich

It's always sailed through its MOT before, but with the way things are going at the moment, I've convinced myself it's going to fail and cost me loads of money! Main worry is the rear caliper that sometimes sticks - admittedly usually only in the wet, but I'm worried it'll decide to do its thing whilst being tested! It was supposed to be replaced today too!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 24/10/2008, 8:30 pm

Ally - you might be better just putting it through and seeing what it needs at the end of it, instead of wasting time checking before hand! Re-tests are usually free if you get the work carried out at the garage that is testing it! If it does fail today the work will need to be carried out today so you can drive it?

Main quick things to check your self are, Tyres, Wiper Blades, windscreen washers working, no cracks in the windscreen, Lights working correctly.

Things they tend to fail on which arent always obvious to the eye are, corroding brake pipes, brake pads/discs, Shock Absorbers, Ball Joints.

Hope this helps

Seb
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 24/10/2008, 8:32 pm

Shocked Seb's getting technical now... But good advice nonetheless Laughing

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 24/10/2008, 8:34 pm

think we wrote them messages at the same time, you are quicker typer than me though! Very Happy
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 8:37 pm

Absolutely, thanks Seb, and Rich.

I'm quite happy that all the day to day stuff is working fine, but worried about the stuff that I can't really check myself.
Main worry is where to take it, as if there is work to be done, I want it to be done by someone half decent. Suspect it's going to have to be SMC in Wycombe - which is bound to prove expensive!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 24/10/2008, 8:41 pm

dressur wrote:Absolutely, thanks Seb, and Rich.

I'm quite happy that all the day to day stuff is working fine, but worried about the stuff that I can't really check myself.
Main worry is where to take it, as if there is work to be done, I want it to be done by someone half decent. Suspect it's going to have to be SMC in Wycombe - which is bound to prove expensive!!

You never know Ally it could be your lucky day and sail through! You dont have to have the work carried out by the testing garage, however you may be charged for a re-test if you do?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 24/10/2008, 8:42 pm

Ally - Seb gave you a good list of things to look at

It all depends on how much time you got to look at it now....

If you have an hour to have a good look around, then i'd check

All lights
Wipers
Tyres
cracks in window in drivers view
Brakes - plenty of pad left
check for movement in ball joint
blowing exhaust (cant do emmissions test if blowing)
check operation of hand brake
then get a torch and look at the brake lines

But i would advise you go get it tested and see where u stand then

Paul
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 9:08 pm

Ok - Corin has just rung me - and hopefully it's all happening. He's havign issues withthe car he was planning to lend me, and its currently dead in his workshop - blocking the sapce reserved for my car! Have told him that I dont care about being lent a car, and am quite happy to take mine over there, hang around while he services it and takes it to be mot'd, and then if there's a problem, he can just drop me at the station and I'll get the train home!
He's calling me back in 30 minutes to let me know if he's managed to get the thing working, and out of his garage
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 24/10/2008, 9:25 pm

dressur wrote:Ok - Corin has just rung me - and hopefully it's all happening. He's havign issues withthe car he was planning to lend me, and its currently dead in his workshop - blocking the sapce reserved for my car! Have told him that I dont care about being lent a car, and am quite happy to take mine over there, hang around while he services it and takes it to be mot'd, and then if there's a problem, he can just drop me at the station and I'll get the train home!
He's calling me back in 30 minutes to let me know if he's managed to get the thing working, and out of his garage

Thats Kinda good news then - Think i would rather get the train home by the sounds of the courtesy car!! Laughing
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 9:28 pm

Me too - weird though - its a very nice little Rover - not sure what happened to it, as if I remember rightly, it's his wifes car, and she thinks its wonderful!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 24/10/2008, 9:32 pm

His wife's car!!! I really hope you dont bump/dent/scratch it Embarassed or you will be in trouble!
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 9:43 pm

Seb wrote:His wife's car!!! I really hope you dont bump/dent/scratch it Embarassed or you will be in trouble!
]
He told me not to be a princess - he reckons Wriggly will sail through!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 10:04 pm

Speaking of the dreaded emissions, is it wirth whacking a shot of Redex into it? I always used to with my Peugeot - which failed its MOT on emissions several times prior to me using engine cleaners!
Looking back through the old invoices, Summit MG always stuck some in when they serviced it.
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 24/10/2008, 10:07 pm

dressur wrote:Speaking of the dreaded emissions, is it wirth whacking a shot of Redex into it? I always used to with my Peugeot - which failed its MOT on emissions several times prior to me using engine cleaners!
Looking back through the old invoices, Summit MG always stuck some in when they serviced it.

but haven't you been putting good petrol in recently anyway? i think that will have doen the job anyway and you should be fine
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 24/10/2008, 10:33 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
dressur wrote:Speaking of the dreaded emissions, is it wirth whacking a shot of Redex into it? I always used to with my Peugeot - which failed its MOT on emissions several times prior to me using engine cleaners!

but haven't you been putting good petrol in recently anyway? i think that will have doen the job anyway and you should be fine

Not since I lost my job!! I've been quite good at keeping the tnak full though - seeing as I don't know where the next pennies are coming from, seemed sensible to keep it topped right up! I guess I could top up the current half tankful of standard Shell with V Power before I take it over!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 24/10/2008, 11:20 pm

i imagine if you have been running it on the good stuff for a bit up till recently it should still be pretty clean anyway.
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 24/10/2008, 11:35 pm

Personally, I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near my 'F... but there we go! A good thrashing before the test is all it should need. That'll get it hot and cleaned out. Always works for mine!!!!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 25/10/2008, 12:09 am

Rich Stone wrote:Personally, I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near my 'F... but there we go! A good thrashing before the test is all it should need. That'll get it hot and cleaned out. Always works for mine!!!!

Rich
I shall happily give it an italian tune on the way over to Corins. Having said that - he hasnt called back yet - may be back to square -1!!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 25/10/2008, 12:14 am

Ally Time is running out! what time is the test booked in for?
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 25/10/2008, 12:21 am

Seb wrote:Ally Time is running out! what time is the test booked in for?

Havent a clue - Corin just said he'd take the car, change the hoses and give it the once over, then take it to whichever MOT testing station he uses.
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Knight 25/10/2008, 12:26 am

do we think he has forgot to book it in???
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  dressur 25/10/2008, 12:32 am

Dark Knight wrote:do we think he has forgot to book it in???

Don't say that!!!! I'm beginning to panic again!
dressur
dressur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seb 25/10/2008, 12:35 am

Ally - I would get on the blower to Corin!

If any work is needed, I think we can assume you wont have Wriggly back for the comittee meeting on sunday, unless the garage is open saturday?? Shocked
Seb
Seb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum