Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Abingdon Sunday I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Abingdon Sunday

4 posters

Go down

Abingdon Sunday Empty Abingdon Sunday

Post  uk kiwis 14/7/2008, 3:55 am

Just arrived back from the Abingdon fund raiser....very pleasant chatting in front of the local museum. Many fine old buildings in this MG town. The church bells peeling made for a 'special feel' day. The 'F's in the square an impressive sight. Good to meet up with old faces and some new ones and yes, the sun it did shine!

See you at the Fest.
uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Abingdon Sunday Empty Re: Abingdon Sunday

Post  Nick 14/7/2008, 8:15 pm

I very nesarly went to this, but I didnt get any free time until late afternoon, was it a good run? how many of the South Wales lot made it?
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 14/7/2008, 10:27 pm

We would have liked to have gone too but had things we couldn't get out of at home. Looks like it was a great day and well done to those who contributed to the £500 rasied for the museum!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis 15/7/2008, 3:24 am

Six or seven 'F's from Wales/ Somerset joined the party for the day. About twenty five cars in total. Sean and Clare from Norfolk also. Interesting MG factory photos in the museum, one of those buildings that stir memories instantly as one walks up the several flights of old wooden stairs to the Atic where more MG memorabilia is kept.

No run on the day but just pleasant chatting in the Sunshine and walking down to the river.
uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 15/7/2008, 5:13 pm

I've been there before, but that was when I was driving around the country in my little white works van. I used to go to the 'Ock Mill' as one of my calls, which used to flood when the rain was heavy, being on the banks of the River Ock. Abingdon is a fine town and even scored highly in a recent tv programme about the most ideal place to live in the UK. It's a shame that just about all of the old MG Car Co. buildings are now replaced by a housing estate and a retail park. I used to work with a guy who was the MD of Pavlova Leathers, a business that traded from one of the old production huts. He recalled the old phones that were still in the building with the MG extension numbers still written on them. Shame he didn't keep one as that would have made an interesting artifact for the museum!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis 16/7/2008, 4:28 am

Interesting Richard. Like you say pity it is all gone now, bit like the Relient Scimitar factory at Two Gates Tamworth now also a housing estate although I am told reference to the history exists in the street names.

One can't help but speculate on the demise of the Motor industry in this country. So many fine desireable cars were made here. My theory runs against management over the years, just no one with vision. Sad.
uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 16/7/2008, 4:36 am

What's really annoying is that British manufacturing of cars is not dead, it's just the British Car Manufacturers... Look at the huge plants the likes of Honda, Nissan, and Ford just to name three of the biggies. Even the Mini, now of course BMW property, is still being built by ex-Rover staff. All down to management and there's your problem with so many companies in the UK...

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 16/7/2008, 10:31 pm

Rich Stone wrote:What's really annoying is that British manufacturing of cars is not dead, it's just the British Car Manufacturers... Look at the huge plants the likes of Honda, Nissan, and Ford just to name three of the biggies. Even the Mini, now of course BMW property, is still being built by ex-Rover staff. All down to management and there's your problem with so many companies in the UK...

Rich

Bad management, bad marketing and internal politics. It all goes back to Leonard Lord. And then Leyland bosses when BMC merged with them. Leyland owned Triumph, BMC owned MG and after the "merger" Leyland bosses held the upepr hand and closed MG down in favour of Triumph................TR7 anyone?

The obviousness of the error of that management decision si that MG as a brand was relaunched where Triumph, as a car brand has more or less been forgotten. This is not hindsight. I remember when the TR7 was announced and the cry that went up from MG enthusiasts in the media, the dealer network, owners, the US dealer network etc. etc. but the bosses ignored those at the sharp end and went with the TR7!

It never ceases to amaze me that those that get paid 6 and 7 figure salaries to make the right decisions consistently make the wrong ones.................just becasue they think they know better! Look at Terminal 5.

Cheers

Dave
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 17/7/2008, 3:03 am

Grumbly On your soapbox Grumbly

... but so very true! Thumbs up

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis 17/7/2008, 4:26 am

I well remember that TR 7 folly, thought so at the time and then the Spitfire sports! although I know they do have a following.The MG R and the MG twin cam A, now they were right on the button. Then think of the honey comb grill of the old early MG's, truly inspired, they were such wonderful cars right up to the old TF.

I guess we have to live in the present though and consider cars like the Aston Martin range, the money maybe foreign but the cars are not!
uk kiwis
uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down