Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
new rover wont start any ideas I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

new rover wont start any ideas

+2
Sambomonkee
cejsmith
6 posters

Go down

new rover wont start any ideas Empty new rover wont start any ideas

Post  cejsmith 20/1/2012, 11:36 pm

Well my new toy has been delivered and I want to get it started. The battery is as flat as a pancake, but I managed to attach it to the TF and power the car.

I've put some OAT in it to replace the lost fluid and checked it has oil and petrol in it.

So it turns over fine , but it just wont fire, I've taken a couple of the plugs out and they seem dry.

What should I look at next????
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

new rover wont start any ideas Empty Re: new rover wont start any ideas

Post  Sambomonkee 21/1/2012, 12:01 am

Do the windows and other electrics work, just thinking about BCU and immobilisers issues??

Have you tried shutting door locking and unlocking and trying again, the ZS imbolises if you don't start the car within X seconds.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 21/1/2012, 12:08 am

Is fuel getting through?

ZT fuel pumps are located under the rear seat on the passenger side and have a habit of falling apart. The top and bottom halves engage into each other with a 1/8 turn.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/72016/no+fuel+to+the+engine
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 21/1/2012, 3:45 am

A long shot but where is the fuel inertia cut off switch located? might be worth checking it hasnt been pressed/activated by accident.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 21/1/2012, 5:24 am

I've brought the FOC and hopefully going to install it 2moro. I'm just hoping the battery will hold charge , I've got it on my charger conditioner on it.

As far as I can see the electric work ( when I had it connected to the tf), I couldn't see any imobiliser lights but I'm not all that up with the 75 dash.

The car has taken a couple of liters of OAT , but until I get it running and up to pressure I still dont know if it has HGF.

Otherwise the car seems to be in good nick, the leather interior is nice and comfy and the electric seats all seem to work.
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 21/1/2012, 8:06 am

Do you have the fuel pump priming and also have you got a spark?

Ignition on do you hear the fuel pump?, you to are unsure of the pump then if you get a suitable container to fit behind the engine, disconnect the fuel pipe from the injector rail and put it into the container then switch the ignition on and you will know if you are priming with fuel.
Next you want to check that you have a spark but make sure the fuel pipe is reconnected and the container with the fuel in has been removed as you don't want to end up barbequing yourself do you Wink remove the engine top cover and pull out one of the HT leads, insert a spare spark plug into the lead and rest it on the top of the camshaft cover(if you don't have a spare plug then remove the one from that cylinder) with the plug resting on the camshaft cover crank the engine over whilst looking at the spark plug(if you can't crank and look then get someone to crank it over for you, same on the fuel testing) you should be able to see if you are getting a spark,
if not then it could be one of 2 things that are common, the main one will be the crank shaft sensor has failed(located at the front of the gearbox in the bell housing) or the inlet manifold wiring loom is damaged/faulty.
There are other possiblities for the faults like coil packs/leads have gone down, ECU faulty or main wiring loom.

This should give you something else to try Smile

Do you have a diagnostic fault trouble code reader at all or anyone local to you that could plug the car in for you which should show you what is at fault.

btw, if I have made any spelling mistakes etc I appologise as I am rather tired from a hectec week and finding that I have turned into a todler trying to work out how to use a keyboard lol
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 21/1/2012, 8:13 am

Oh I forgot to say, myself and a work mate has a simple answer when we get things like this etc...

BURN IT!

new rover wont start any ideas 356801
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 21/1/2012, 9:34 pm

I got the fuel pump out and it appears the FOC has already fitted, I now cant get the retaining ring to screw on. Is there a trick to it???

So where should I go next, I tuned the ignition on with the pump out but I couldn't hear any noise, would that indicate the the fuel pump in knackered???
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 22/1/2012, 5:00 am

Assume you've checked the fuel pump relay and fuse?
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 22/1/2012, 9:16 pm

Tony wrote:Assume you've checked the fuel pump relay and fuse?

I've checked the fuse thats fine, but where is the relay, I know there are some in the car and some under the bonnet. The handbook doesn't cover relays
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 23/1/2012, 2:22 am

we think we have traced the problem to the MEM3 ecu, it looks like it got damp. The question is can it be repaired and if so do I need to send anything else with it to be recoded etc?

IF I do need to send anything else where are the other bits located??
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 25/1/2012, 10:49 pm

It appears a little resistor had blown on the ecu , I should get it back by the weekend. Lets hope once thats back in the car will start!!!!

I might order the Head gasket kit , becuase the way it's going I'm sure it will need one!!!!
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 25/1/2012, 11:28 pm

Got your Facebook message Col, fingers crossed the ECU repair will cure the non-start issue.

As I said on Facebook make sure the head gasket kit is for the turbo K-Series as I believe there is a difference? Personally I'd try and fit a Payen one but the kit I ordered from Gaskets for Classics was a decent budget alternative.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 25/1/2012, 11:38 pm

Captain Slow wrote:Got your Facebook message Col, fingers crossed the ECU repair will cure the non-start issue.

As I said on Facebook make sure the head gasket kit is for the turbo K-Series as I believe there is a difference? Personally I'd try and fit a Payen one but the kit I ordered from Gaskets for Classics was a decent budget alternative.

Ok mate where do I get a Payen one from????
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 26/1/2012, 2:47 am

Try Euro's and ask them if it's a Payen gasket.

Failing that, Brown & Gammons or Rimmer Bros.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down