Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?)

+4
Tony
Matt Parker
Nick
cejsmith
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) Empty Re: colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?)

Post  Nick 3/1/2012, 7:26 am

It looks like a monogram colour (typhoon?) or sometimes refered to as Blurple - good find, but costs a fortune to respray I believe. Tony is your man he knows a lot about ZS's and their colours..
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?) Empty Re: colour (... or should I buy a ZS180?)

Post  Matt Parker 3/1/2012, 7:49 am

That'll be Specter as its more pink, Typhoon is the other colour in the same family colours but has more blue in it. If that was cleaned then it'll be a very nice car Smile

Not happy about that car though as I saw that exact same listing early last year Suspect think you need to find out everything you can about the car before jumping in, it may just be that the colour has put everyone off so they haven't been able to sell it, but don't be put off by the colour as the cost of the paint has come down alot and more people can paint it and get a spot on match than they realise Smile

Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 3/1/2012, 8:20 am

Looks like Spectre to me, it's a lightblue/purple flip. That would have been a £2000 option when new.

Amazed that someone would photograph a car for sale in that state. Looks like a lot of car for the money but something doesn't look right below the heater dials on the centre console.

I'd suggest looking for a late 52 plate or later as in November 2002 a few upgrades were made including an improved alarm system. Matt can probably confirm exactly what that means. The seat fabric was updated too.

Regarding painting these colours. Steve Cleenz rebuild the back end of his Typhoon (blue/green flip) ZS to an excelent standard after a shunt and he's not a professional sprayer.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 3/1/2012, 8:48 am

Re the dash, I think it's just the ashtray open and a packet of sweets or something sat in it. There also appears to be a phone charger in the lighter socket. Nowt to be concerned about. Mind you, the seat looks a bit saggy...
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 3/1/2012, 8:49 am

As Tony mentioned, I was amazed at the outcome of Steve Cleanz ZS as it was the first time he had painted any panels and his Typhoon came out spot on with a nice finish matching the factory when he did it in his back garden lol

With the mk1 ZS models, ones to go for are 2003(03 and 53) on wards as these will have the upgraded electrics inlcuding th alarm(still using 5AS), higher spec trim was more standard, but also there were afew items discontinued due to cost cutting money saving so things like sound deadening in the engine bay were left out and other bits which I know of but at this moment I can't think what they are lol I'll try and remember for later Laughing
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 3/1/2012, 9:55 am

Don't forget the cupholders that were added to the central storage bin on the upgrade. The facia trim went to a carbon fibre effect instead of the plain gloss grey. Mk2's had that grey sandpaper finish.
Also grey seat inserts became standard with the other colours becoming optional and the central fabric was changed from red/green or blue/yellow flecks to a charcoal fabric.

Deleted items included the interior door cappings (replaced by leather/vinyl) and the bright finishers on the kick plates. I had the under bonnet sound proofing though. I think it was the ZR that lost this rather than the ZS (or maybe I was lucky).

Mine was a November 2002, 52 plate and was one of the first to hit the road with the upgrades, delivery was delayed by a month due to the changes.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 3/1/2012, 10:00 am

All correct Tony, and btw the mk2 "grey sandpaper finish" is called Technical Grey Smile

ZS did away with the under bonnet sound proof from standard too, if you had it you must have been a lucky one to have had it put on as there were stil afew left in the corner of the line Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 3/1/2012, 9:32 pm

Chaps what do you think the going rate should be of a belt change on a ZS???
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 3/1/2012, 11:12 pm

You're doing well if you get it for £600-the belt kit non-genuine seems to be around £100-£150, genuine XPart is around £250. Bear in mind you may also need a water pump & thermostat (sits in the V and has a habit of leaking) which is easier to change while accessing the cambelt. Shame I'm not at Evans Halshaw anymore as we could do it cheap (like I had mine done Cool £600 including thermostat & genuine belt kit Tongue ) or I could pinch the tools and we could give it a go if you're feeling brave.

P.S. I'm bringing mine on Thursday if you want a go.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 3/1/2012, 11:18 pm

B.S. Motors in Sandy charge about £600 which isn't bad as iirc, the guide book says it's an 8-9 hour job. I understand there are 3 belts to change and lots of special tools needed.
It's due at 6 years or 90k on the KV6 and many people recomend replacing the water pump and tensioner at the same time. I didn't on my ZT as it was well under the 90k when the belts were changed.

I've heard that Russell can do it and Clifton should give you a good price.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 3/1/2012, 11:41 pm

Russell didn't seem interested when I asked about a price for doing mine-probably because it looks a horrid job when you're working on axle stands & jacks. It's also something that most places & people would struggle to do in a day.

I had BS Motors on the phone the other day at work asking for technical advice-have to admit I had a snigger at the name Laughing

The locking tool kit for the KV6 costs around £200 IIRC-bit much for a one time use but I'd consider investing in one if I was definitely keeping my ZS. Haynes does detail a way of doing it without the tools but TBH with an engine like this I'd rather not...
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 4/1/2012, 12:11 am

well

Martin has quoted me £450 for the job, which seems good to me if i buy one and Iain I would like to have go in yours mate if that is possible.
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 4/1/2012, 12:13 am

cejsmith wrote:well

Martin has quoted me £450 for the job, which seems good to me if i buy one and Iain I would like to have go in yours mate if that is possible.

That's very good-nice to give the business to a "local" too.

I'll bring it on Thursday then-presume you're OK insurance wise?
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 4/1/2012, 12:38 am

Insurance dont believe in it mate, it's only for mugs you know Laughing
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 4/1/2012, 12:41 am

If anyone has a trophy blue ZS that needs parts etc, Martin has one in his garage that going for scrap so if any one was brave and wanted a breaker. It might be worth asking Martins client if he wants to sell it.
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 4/1/2012, 8:53 am

That is a very good price for the belts, snap his arm off at the offer Wink

I have the complete tool set for the job, bought it so I can 'play' with my engine and modify the timing etc, I am yet to use the kit myself, lent it to another trader so they could do a customers 190 so i know the tools work Smile but if someone wanted to do theres them self I could lend my kit out or offer assistance with the job Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 4/1/2012, 9:06 am

Matt I'd love to give one a go at some point and learn/teach myself how to do it-time for Dan Nyberg to buy one Laughing
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 5/1/2012, 4:56 am

Captain Slow wrote:Matt I'd love to give one a go at some point and learn/teach myself how to do it-time for Dan Nyberg to buy one Laughing
Not gonna happen until insurance companies stop being dicks Laughing £1100ish for a highly modified F running nitrous or £2100 for a stock ZS180.... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, new manifold and engine mount on it's way to me that may work to fit the turbo Wink
gotenks1321
gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 5/1/2012, 7:10 am

£450 to change the belts is a really good price, assuming it included the parts and VAT?

The RAVE manual has very comprehensive instructions for changing the belts, it should be easy for someone competant to follow. Matt do you have all the guide plates for the different power outputs? I've heard that using the wrong plates on a 190 can detune the engine, not sure if it's true though.

Colin, I know where there's a Le Mans Green 02 plate 4 door ZS180 less than 50k miles and the belts have been done, owned by an ex MGR employee from new that's hardly been used for the last 2 years or so. He wanted £1000 for it. Unfortunately it's just been sold but not yet collected. I'll let you know if it comes up again.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 5/1/2012, 8:19 am

Sounds a nice car Tony.

Colin I would offer you mine but I know you're a bit of a cheapskate Tongue there's no way you or anyone sane would pay what I want for it Laughing

PS I'm still after a copy of RAVE Sad
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 5/1/2012, 9:03 am

I have 75/ZT, 45/ZS, 25/ZR and TF as PDF files. I'll try and remember to put them on a CD for the Feb meet (unless Rich see's this before then and copies the copy I gave him for you.)
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 5/1/2012, 9:11 am

Tony, I bought the full it with the 190 plates so I can do all KV6.

I have all the Rave disc's etc and I'm currently sorting out a copy for you Iain, presume its ZS and Trophy you want, can't think why it would though Wink
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 5/1/2012, 9:13 am

Matt Parker wrote:Tony, I bought the full it with the 190 plates so I can do all KV6.

I have all the Rave disc's etc and I'm currently sorting out a copy for you Iain, presume its ZS and Trophy you want, can't think why it would though Wink

Can I have the 25/Streetwise one too please? Guessing I'll be owing you more food Laughing

Matt, what's the difference between the 160, 180 & 190 versions of the KV6? And don't say power output Tongue
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 5/1/2012, 9:40 am

Matt Parker wrote:Tony, I bought the full it with the 190 plates so I can do all KV6.

Good stuff Matt. I won't copy my set then.

Re. The difference between engines, I understand that apart from some induction/exhaust differences, it's timing that changes the power output, hence the different plates for the locking tools. In theory, you could up a 160 to 190 quite easily. Over to Matt for confirmation/complication.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next