Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Drivers Door Lock Problems I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Drivers Door Lock Problems

4 posters

Go down

Drivers Door Lock Problems Empty Drivers Door Lock Problems

Post  StevePem 15/4/2010, 1:03 am

Hi All,

I posted this on mg_rover.org but did not get much of a response so thought I would see if anyone in SMS had experienced similar. I am particularly concerned that the lock may fail altogether as it seems the only way to get access then is to destroy the door card.
A few days ago the drivers side door lock started playing up. It started by occassionally either not locking or not unlocking on the remote control button and now it will not operate at all using the remote. The passenger side still works fine.

Are these symptoms of impending total failure? Locks and unlocks fine with the key still.

Any advice or theories?
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Drivers Door Lock Problems Empty Re: Drivers Door Lock Problems

Post  Tony 15/4/2010, 2:00 am

Can you hear the motor trying to operate when the lock doesn't? if not it would suggest a loose connection somewhere or possible a failing locking motor. If you can hear it, then something in the mechanism must be loose or misaligned. Either way, I'd guess it could fail completely at any time so I'd recomend further investigation sooner rather than later.
Hopefully it's just something simple thats come loose and can be fixed easily rather than the motor needing to be replaced.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 15/4/2010, 3:31 am

Thanks Tony.

No, there is no noise, when it does not work it is silent. At first I even thought it may just be damp in on the connections or something as when the problem first started late last week, it worked much more often than it did not.

In fact over the weekend it seemed fine again and then on Sunday evening it started playing up again and since Monday morning has not worked at all.

The central locking works fine when I lock/unlock using the key so all the other connections must be ok, must be either the solenoid/motor itself or a connection to that.

I am at Longbidge Saturday so hope everything lasts out untill Sunday when I can have a look.

Cheers
Steve
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 15/4/2010, 3:33 am

Perhaps I should bring some tools on Saturday, there will be no shortage of experts at Longbridge! Drivers Door Lock Problems Icon_biggrin
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 15/4/2010, 3:41 am

Sounds like exactly the same problem I had with my passenger door. After talking to several people I had come to the conclusion I would have to rip the door card to pieces to get to the lock. I could hear the solenoid but it was very lethargic. I even had another door card lined up for the rebuild. I decided to leave it as I was taking the car off the road for a while anyway, but when I went to unlock the car to retrieve my CD case, it suddenly sprung to life and has worked perfectly every time since!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony 15/4/2010, 4:50 am

StevePem wrote:The central locking works fine when I lock/unlock using the key so all the other connections must be ok, must be either the solenoid/motor itself or a connection to that.
If it's the motor thats failing then using the key will prevent that side from having to do any work so the system would appear to work fine even if it isn't.

There should certainly be a few experts at Longbridge on Saturday. Are you travelling up with SMS?
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 15/4/2010, 6:07 am

Yes, intending to join the convoy
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 15/4/2010, 6:11 am

Rich wrote:Sounds like exactly the same problem I had with my passenger door. After talking to several people I had come to the conclusion I would have to rip the door card to pieces to get to the lock. I could hear the solenoid but it was very lethargic. I even had another door card lined up for the rebuild. I decided to leave it as I was taking the car off the road for a while anyway, but when I went to unlock the car to retrieve my CD case, it suddenly sprung to life and has worked perfectly every time since!

Rich

Hopefully it will get sorted while I can still open the drivers door! The annoying thing is I had a pair of doorcards that I took out when I fitted the Grenadine interior. The ones I took out had bright leather pods which I advertised. I only wanted to sell the pods and keep the rest of the cards, just in case, but the guy who bought them persuaded me to sell the cards complete - ho hum!
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 15/4/2010, 6:54 am

Might be worth getting a spare lock bought just in case (you dont want to be deadlocked out), it's actually surprisingly easy to swap over anyway (although the drivers side is a little bit more complex) and I'll help do it at the next pub meet if you want?
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 15/4/2010, 8:19 am

Nick wrote:Might be worth getting a spare lock bought just in case (you dont want to be deadlocked out), it's actually surprisingly easy to swap over anyway (although the drivers side is a little bit more complex) and I'll help do it at the next pub meet if you want?
Thanks Nick
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down