Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
first drive top down , a few little problems I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

first drive top down , a few little problems

5 posters

Go down

first drive top down , a few little problems Empty first drive top down , a few little problems

Post  cejsmith 29/12/2009, 4:32 am

Just had a great little blast in MGF all good fun.

I have a couple of questions, when I had it all nice and warmed up, I gave it, it's head. The engine pulled nice and smoothly around to 7K and all was good. Then a few minutes later it wouldn't pull past 6k, it was like in hit a rev limiter.

The engine was fine up 6k, I then stopped and when I drove off again it pulled fine up to 7k again but then a few minutes later in then had 6k problem again. I assume I have some sort of VVC problem???

Also the passenger door won't open any ideas??
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

first drive top down , a few little problems Empty Re: first drive top down , a few little problems

Post  Rich 29/12/2009, 5:40 am

When were your belts changed last? Could be the VVC mech belt gone. What does the car feel like lower in the rev range? Is it still pulling ok?

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

first drive top down , a few little problems Empty Re: first drive top down , a few little problems

Post  cejsmith 29/12/2009, 10:46 pm

Rich wrote:When were your belts changed last? Could be the VVC mech belt gone. What does the car feel like lower in the rev range? Is it still pulling ok?

Rich

It feel fine, it pulls like a train it just sometimes hits a limit at about 5800. I've looked around abit and I hoping it's a loose connection!!!
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 7/1/2010, 7:01 am

I'm not much up on the modern engines with all its computer controlled gizmos but could it be a fueling problem? Maybe overfueling intermittently? Does it smell of petrol?

Scott the Scot!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 7/1/2010, 10:22 am

I had an Elise 111S that did this-I only had it for a day though before it went back to the dealer where I got it from so I never did find the solution.

Probably best by kicking off with a diagnostic check at a decent garage. I would guess it's some sort of VVC problem though-is the VVC on the K-Series oil pressure driven? If so, it could be a little oil pressure solinoid valve sticking-when I was at Vauxhall this was a not uncommon problem on the 1.8 VVT units.
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith 8/1/2010, 1:42 am

I did some checking on some other forums etc and after pushing and pulling a few connectors it seems now to be sorted!!!!!

Quick question though anybody know where to get the correct antifreeze in MK?
cejsmith
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 8/1/2010, 3:03 am

Souls in Olney are "official" MG Rover parts dealers.

I used to use Vauxhall anti-freeze in my Elise 111S which always went fine and was pretty cheap (although I enjoyed employee discount!).

Otherwise, you could try Central Auto Supplies (Bletchley) or Motorserv (Wolverton I think...).
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  daved 8/1/2010, 6:20 am

Good News! Funnily enough I use pink OAT stuff from Halfords if you can't get to a motor factors!

Scott the Scot!
daved
daved

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 8/1/2010, 6:47 am

Just a word of warning, not all Fs run on OAT, if you have an ealier F (pre-1999?) it'll probably run on normal glycol anti-freeze.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 8/1/2010, 5:42 pm

Any MGF can run OAT though. In fact, just about any car can, as long as the cooling system has been flushed first. It's now quite a common product and even our local supermarket has been known to have it on it's shelves! My 'F has run with it since new and it's a '97.

The 45 isn't at the moment but will do when I change the radiator, which is an imminent job!

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 8/1/2010, 10:36 pm

OAT filled cars had a yellow 'collar' around the expansion tank from new earlier ones like my '97 F have a black collar around them with the antifreeze type printed on. Of course there's nothing to say that the car may have had the fluids replaced, I just thought a heads up would be good as the two different types dont like being mixed. I guess the only way to be sure is to flush out the old coolant and replace it with the type of your choosing, OAT hasd a 5 year service interval, Glycol a 2 year interval. The MGOC sell a 4life coolanrt with a 10 year service life and apparently a dye which shows if there's any exhaust gasses seeping through.

I'll be going for the 4life coolant when I replace my underfloor pipes and radiator.
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down