Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Shaggy has problems again! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Shaggy has problems again!

3 posters

Go down

Shaggy has problems again! Empty Shaggy has problems again!

Post  Guest 25/4/2008, 8:52 pm

So, this morning I started up and running fine, then a bit of the way into my journey I stopped in traffic, and the revs were all over the place. It just wouldn't idle properley, and if I blipped the throttle it had a major flat spot, and black smoke coming out the back. It's a bit like on an old car if you still had the choke out. It seems that the car is over fuelling itself. Anyway, it died and I couldn't get it started again. Fortunately a mate was a bit further back in the queue of traffic, so I avoided calling the AA. We fiddled for a while, and eventually got it started, and then he followed me home, with the revs going all over the place!

So, what's the problem..... Well, fortunately I have a few spare parts at the moment, so I'll be grabbing the stepper motor, and also the choke/temp guage sensor unit and trying those out. If that doesn't work then I suppose it could be the ECU, but I don't have a spare one of those! So, if the first 2 things don't work, then it'll be a trip somewhere that has testbook to plug it in and find out what is happening.

Also, the car has just started blowing a bit from the flex part of the exhaust pipe!

I'm not having much luck at the moment, and really can't afford any more things......
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Shaggy has problems again! Empty Re: Shaggy has problems again!

Post  Nick 25/4/2008, 9:50 pm

Sorry to hear about this mate, if it's any use I have a spare 48mm plastic throttle body and stepper motor you can have if you want. Hope it's something nice and simple (and cheap)...
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 25/4/2008, 10:39 pm

Cheers Nick, but that's ok, I have 2 x 48mm plastic TB's, one from me changing mine to the 52mm, and one from the other engine I got! But I don't think the TB is the prob. Pretty sure it's the sensor and/or stepper motor, but will know more tomorrow when I can look at it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  darrenzs 26/4/2008, 7:10 am

Could be crank sensor?
A similar thing happened to my '90 214 GSI, flooding, erratic revs etc, and the crank sensor was to blame.
darrenzs
darrenzs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 26/4/2008, 7:21 pm

That's bad news scoob, but I can't see it being that serious considering how well it was running last weekend. The worst I think it could be is the timing belt skipping a tooth. I know that causes exactly the symtoms you described. But knowing what happened previously, I would expect that to be the first thing you would have double checked before firing it up!

As always, if you need a hand, give me a shout. Lovely weather for driving round the Oxon countryside! spanner :pirat:

Rich
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 28/4/2008, 8:35 am

Cheers guys, Shaggy is running again! Spent a long day on Saturday working on the car, replacing stepper motor, coolant temperature sensor, dizzy cap, throttle body back to original and back to 52mm again, and then finally found it was a problem with the wire t the coolant temp sensor. Seems it must have got damaged with the engine replcaement! So, sorted that and running beautifully!

So today I went on an OxfordMG organised Airfield Pub Run, enjoying the weather with the roof down, waking up the sleepy villages with my exhaust, and showing all those old MGB drivers that my MGF is the loudest!

So, now my car is sorted, i'm going to go for a drive on Tuesday evening to find a Bucks pub for us to have our May meeting. I'll probably post it on here on Wednseday.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 28/4/2008, 5:09 pm

Excellent! Back on the road disturbing the neighbourhood... Laughing Rolling Eyes

Amazing how such a simple wire can cause so much havoc for the smooth running of the car. Glad it hasn't cost a fortune. spanner spanner Thumbs up

Rich.
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick 28/4/2008, 11:06 pm

Glad she's back and running properly, I heard a noise yesterday, I thought it was thunder, but must have been your TT Extreme as you are only one county away Wink
Nick
Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down