Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!).

5 posters

Go down

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). Empty How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!).

Post  MG Tom 15/5/2013, 12:18 am

Well, a bit of a sad day for me. My engine has died Sad Lots of clattering and then it locked the front wheels. Scared the bejesus out of me!!

First up check the cambelt - looks good to me.

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0859

Try and turn the engine by hand to check timing marks, its not budging.

Off with the belt, tensioner seems perfect, belt still looks new with all its teeth in place etc. Odd.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure these shouldn't look like this!

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0861

And where has my coolant gone? No leaks under the car, no steam from the exhaust that I noticed. Odd.

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0860

Off with the cam cover.

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0862

All looks OK up here, so off with its head!

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0864

Ah. I wasn't expecting that! Looks like number 1 conrod had shat itself, the piston is nowhere to be seen Roll on floor laughi Lots of valves broken on 3 and 4 too. No wonder I couldn't turn it over by hand!!

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0865

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0866

Number 1 cylinder:

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). DSCF8188

Cylinders 3 and 4:

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). DSCF8190

Oh well, I'm sure the head will be ok Wink Or maybe not.

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). IMG_0867

Looks like 6 snapped valves, and 10 bent ones.

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). DSCF8192

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). DSCF8193

At least the head gasket looks perfect - every cloud and all that...

So, I'm on the look out for a replacement engine or a replacement car! Don't want to spend more than a few hundred on top of what I can break this one for - any ideas?

I really can't explain how this has happened though. Gutted doesn't begin to describe it.

Thanks for looking, enjoy a laugh at my expense. Smile
MG Tom
MG Tom

Back to top Go down

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). Empty Re: How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!).

Post  Rich 15/5/2013, 1:19 am

That is such bad luck. I know I was saying about a VVC conversion on the other thread but this is a major blow. Mind you, it was a spectacular HGF that made my mind up with my car. I'm not sure but I think Matt Parker might have a complete VVC lump that he might wish to part with and possibly all the other bits you need. Don't get rid of the car though, as it looks very smart...
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). Empty Re: How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!).

Post  Sambomonkee 15/5/2013, 1:21 am

Rich wrote:That is such bad luck. I know I was saying about a VVC conversion on the other thread but this is a major blow. Mind you, it was a spectacular HGF that made my mind up with my car. I'm not sure but I think Matt Parker might have a complete VVC lump that he might wish to part with and possibly all the other bits you need. Don't get rid of the car though, as it looks very smart...

Tried this one with Tom already, swapping my VVC lump for the Jan speed exhaust, come on Tom you know you want too Smile
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 15/5/2013, 1:23 am

Sambomonkee wrote:Tried this one with Tom already, swapping my VVC lump for the Jan speed exhaust, come on Tom you know you want too Smile
I thought you were selling of bits of that at a time! Cool

I've just texted Matt to see if he can be of assistance... Twisted Evil Fizzbot!

Last edited by Rich on 15/5/2013, 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 15/5/2013, 1:24 am

Rich wrote:
Sambomonkee wrote:Tried this one with Tom already, swapping my VVC lump for the Jan speed exhaust, come on Tom you know you want too Smile
I thought you were selling of bits of that at a time! Cool

I am, only as I don't have a crane, I have someone after the head for its Mechs, but its just so much easier to do the whole engine.

Plus this way, I get rid of the engine, get the Jan speed exhaust for free, Tom gets an engine for free, both cars are on the road for no money being spent, result.

Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 15/5/2013, 1:32 am

Sambomonkee wrote:... both cars are on the road for no money being spent, result.
Not quite... The VVC conversion needs one or two other bits and bobs too, but Matt has just replied and thinks he may have what's needed. Hopefully he'll post here later with some details!

MG Tom wrote:... enjoy a laugh at my expense. Smile
That's something we would NEVER do here. Nothing but sympathy mate... Sad
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MG Tom 15/5/2013, 1:58 am

Thanks guys.

Lee, I may well be interested in your engine once I've researched the conversion further. Smile Would probably keep the exhaust though as I really am fond of it Wink
MG Tom
MG Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 15/5/2013, 2:30 am

Matt will be able to tell you what needs for my coupe VVC to your ZS....but I need to know sooner rather than later, Ie tomorrow, as I can sell the head alone for 80 pounds etc etc.

I will have that exhaust, don't be surprised Twisted Evil one morning to wake up and its gone missing.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 15/5/2013, 2:57 am

Needs the IACV valve cleaning but here it is

How did this happen then? Catastrophic engine failure (with pics!). Th_20130514_164755_zpsf55dcb89
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  MG Tom 15/5/2013, 6:40 am

Thanks for the kind offer Lee, I'm going to pass on it though if thats ok.

Ive decided I simply haven't got the time or energy to get this sorted, so I'll be breaking it. It is a shame but the best option for me considering my family commitments at the moment.

Now I'm pondering - 75, or a TF? Wink
MG Tom
MG Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker 15/5/2013, 7:33 am

Evening, bit of a bugga that for you Sad

and shame that your going to break the car rather than rebuild/modify but needs must Neutral

Lee, were you going to sell a complete vvc for £80???? thats stupid price should be between £175-£250 for a complete head, also don't you just love how all video recordings make any engine how ever smooth a quiet sound like a tractor engine with no oil it lol Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 15/5/2013, 7:09 pm

Matt Parker wrote:Evening, bit of a bugga that for you Sad

and shame that your going to break the car rather than rebuild/modify but needs must Neutral

Lee, were you going to sell a complete vvc for £80???? thats stupid price should be between £175-£250 for a complete head, also don't you just love how all video recordings make any engine how ever smooth a quiet sound like a tractor engine with no oil it lol Smile

Granted but want it gone off the drive, Its all going to be stripped this weekend, so if you want a complete spare engine, give me a shout.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  MG Tom 16/5/2013, 10:06 pm

Well it looks like I'm breaking this now.

And I shall return to the fold in a nice X-Power grey ZT 1.8T Smile
MG Tom
MG Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 16/5/2013, 10:16 pm

MG Tom wrote:Well it looks like I'm breaking this now.

And I shall return to the fold in a nice X-Power grey ZT 1.8T Smile

Wheres the link to the ad??, I'll get back to you today or tomorrow, about exhaust and struts
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow 17/5/2013, 3:55 am

Hmmm, that engine has poo'ed itself pretty spectacularly...

I know someone who would be interested in the front brakes, presuming they're 262mm vented calipers?
Captain Slow
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  MG Tom 17/5/2013, 4:38 am

Captain Slow wrote:Hmmm, that engine has poo'ed itself pretty spectacularly...

I know someone who would be interested in the front brakes, presuming they're 262mm vented calipers?

They are indeed. Disks and pads are good too. Could have them off the car in a jiffy, make me an offer Smile I'd rather they were collected though. I work in Bedford so happy to sort something out if that helps Smile
MG Tom
MG Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down