Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in!

3 posters

Go down

URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! Empty URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in!

Post  StevePem 30/1/2013, 6:25 am

Hi All

I pm'd Matt regarding this but thought I may as well put up a post to see if anyone else can help?

I urgently need some info if you have it. The garage could not get the subframe completely out to remove the gearbox. He managed to get it out by removing the flywheel and wiggling it about but now can't get it back in where it came from (see extracts from mails below). Have you had a TF or F gearbox out and replaced it? Is there any info advice you can give?

would really appreciate any info

cheers
Steve

here are extracts from the saga;

Hi Steve, got the clutch arm off...I had to use an air hammer to shift it !! stuck solid. The gearbox is in the space it occpies within the subframe assy, but I can't move it round to face the right way due to lack of room. I don't know how I got it out.

I have looked on Google for how to remove a gearbox but have found nothing, the Rover Rave disc does not say what the procedure is.

Do you have any info through your contacts.

Keith

and here is the mail regarding how he got it out

Hello Stephen, Yes the saga continues....the gearbox is now out on the workbench ! I only got it out at 5.00pm tonight, the problem was that all bolts holding the subframe and other sub assemblies were rusted solid. Access is very poor and some required the use of oxy acetylene to free off.

There was still not enough room to get the box out as not all of the subframe could be lowered so I removed the flywheel and with leverage got the gearbox out.

The clutch is worn out and the thrust bearing fell to pieces, the clutch arm is so siezed that I will have to heat that as well.

Well that's another challenge for tomorrow.

Regards

Keith

StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! Empty Re: URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in!

Post  StevePem 31/1/2013, 4:54 am

Latest news is they managed to get the gearbox back in position today using advice Dan posted in a reply to me on .org.

With the help of a hoist and two people above the car, he was able to manipulate it into position from underneath.

At the moment it is just "sitting" in the correct position so repuild will continue tomorrow. Apparently it had previously taken several hours with an air hammer to pursuated the old clutch lever to part company with the gearbox.
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in! Empty Re: URGENT Info needed Gearbox out but won't go back in!

Post  Matt Parker 31/1/2013, 7:33 am

No need for me to reply now is there Smile

It is very very awkward to get the gearbox out of the subframe with the engine still fitted. When doing a clutch on F/TF what you do is possition the gearbox into the space on the subframe once the gearbox support arm has been removed so it sits out the way enough so you can remove the clutch and fit the new one. Removing the gearbox with the engine still in place requires the removal of the flywheel and disconnecting the engine mounts so the engine itself can then be pushed over the to right of the car to give slightly more space and then you have the task of wiggling the gearbox through the space for replacing or repair if required.
It can be more benificial to just remove the complete subframe assemble with the engine and gearbox intact from the car and then you have more access to remove the gearbox and refit but when you do this you need to allow plenty of time(days if your not that experienced with anything more than an oil change) as you will encounter problems like the subframe mounting bolts snapping in the body etc.

Smile
Matt Parker
Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down