None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

MG ZT+ 160 2005...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MG ZT+ 160 2005...

Post  Sambomonkee on 17/3/2012, 2:13 am

...have just bought as a summer project, and got it verrrrrrryyyyyyyy cheap. Its a face lift MG ZT+ in royal blue, full leather 51k, one owner (lady - who did not think to stop when it over heated!!!). Issue is that the stat got stuck and it over heated (its already had a head gasket change), and now it is rattling abit when it gets up to temperature. SO worst case new head, but looking forward to the project.

I was after a project and was looking for ZR diesel, but for the price I paid for this, it just had to be done, makes my TF look expensive.

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Re: MG ZT+ 160 2005...

Post  Tony on 17/3/2012, 3:32 am

Looks very nice. Is it the V6 or the 1.8 turbo?

Don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to keep it when you've sorted things out. The ZT is very civilised to live with but can still be fun in the twisties.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 17/3/2012, 3:53 am

Turbo, it may well replace the zs not sure yet
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 17/3/2012, 9:12 am

Not bad, good choice of car and by the sounds of it (without actually knowing) you got it at a fantastic price. Smile

If she failed to stop when the engine over heated then I think you may be looking into a new engine and possible turbo engines tend to get hotter when drivne during over heated periods than nasp K series and this makes the block expand and result in liner sinkage. With the head off carefully measure the liner heights in the block for any sunken ones, if so then new engine time.

Whats the condition of the wheels as the gridspokes are the worst for corrosion and tyre deflation which is a real pain in the bum lol.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow on 17/3/2012, 9:55 am

Matt Parker wrote:If she failed to stop when the engine over heated then I think you may be looking into a new engine and possible turbo engines tend to get hotter when drivne during over heated periods than nasp K series and this makes the block expand and result in liner sinkage. With the head off carefully measure the liner heights in the block for any sunken ones, if so then new engine time.

That's what I was just thinking...still if you can pick up an engine cheap then happy days Very Happy

"You can sleep in a car, but you can't drive a house..."
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 17/3/2012, 5:09 pm

Well, yes that was what I was thinking as well about the liners, but not really a problem as its a long term thing.

As far as I know it runs absultly fine, but just rattles abit when up to temperature, so may have got lucky, but as you say new engine is the worst case, all part of the fun though.

Plenty left in the budget to do that for the price I have paid for it Laughing

PS whats the difference between a normal 1.8 and the turbo engine (other than the turbo/induction obviously)

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 18/3/2012, 4:43 am

So we both have 1.8T's now , come on what did you pay then!!!!

I think the engine performs well and I just wonder what it would be like with the z&F tune????

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 18/3/2012, 4:46 am

500 pounds. It should be delivered Wednesday.
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 19/3/2012, 4:26 am

Sambomonkee wrote:

..but just rattles abit when up to temperature,

PS whats the difference between a normal 1.8 and the turbo engine (other than the turbo/induction obviously)

Can you identify where about the rattle is coming from, as I would say if your getting a rattle once its warm then it'll be bottom end or the Turbo. For now if it is running ok bar the rattle try an engine flush and then a different grade of oil or add an oil treatment for worn engines etc.

Difference's in the engines externally at the front of the block lower section you have the boss for the oil return from the turbo, later K series blocks do have this feature so you can drill out the holes and tap the thread gfor the bolts. The other difference is in the conrods, the Turbo rods are shorter which gives you the lower compression ratio, and they use the same pistons as the VVC 160 and will have '160' dot marked on the tops of the pistons. If you can not source a replacement Turbo engine at the right cost or in good condition then you can get a late K series block with the casting for the oil return boss and swap your internal's over and fit new bearings etc.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 19/3/2012, 4:34 am

Havn't got it yet, so don't know where the rattle is Smile, get it wednesday, I would be surprised if its the bottom end though, I guessed at the turbo as well, but will see when I get hold of it.

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 19/3/2012, 5:18 am

cejsmith wrote:So we both have 1.8T's now , come on what did you pay then!!!!

I think the engine performs well and I just wonder what it would be like with the z&F tune????

Colin just checked on his site, and he reckons for a full retune of the turbo it comes out with 182bhp, thats more than my v6!!!

Worth getting it mapped then, just need to get it road worthy first Laughing
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Slow on 19/3/2012, 5:23 am

Sambomonkee wrote:Colin just checked on his site, and he reckons for a full retune of the turbo it comes out with 182bhp, thats more than my v6!!!

The only issue is in the ZT it's got 182 tonnes to pull Laughing

"You can sleep in a car, but you can't drive a house..."
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 19/3/2012, 5:28 am

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 19/3/2012, 6:13 am

Why ruin a good car with an old out dated pig lump, may just stick with a V6

Your get much better power to weight from a K series Turbo Wink

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 19/3/2012, 10:22 pm

Came across this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170807341173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&
_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just getting the guy to strip the head off and take photos of the piston and valves, but what do you think, worth a punt, the turbo I could sell on its own for 250 or so.

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 20/3/2012, 5:10 am

You can get a turbo for about £195 Lee if not cheaper. I would say though certainly worth a punt though.

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 20/3/2012, 8:47 am

Thats a very good deal, even if all the valves are bent its a bargain as you can put any 16v head on it if you need Smile If if had the room I'd have it for another spare Laughing

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 20/3/2012, 6:06 pm

I am seeing if I can broker a deal with him, but in terms of the head, I assume I can get the head ported and cleaned for more BHP, it would be rude not too, Matt what was the guy that you use?

EDIT: Engine purchased for 200 pounds, cannot really loose out on it.
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 21/3/2012, 5:43 am

Right its here, and...

the engine sounds fine, sounds like a k series, no misfires and runs well.

It has full service history, cam belts done, new clutch, has the upgraded informaiton centre thingy with traffic master, uprated head gasket. Drove OK, turbo kicked in and it pulled well, maybe a bit of turbo lag, but I havn't driven a petrol turbo (ever), Mot to april and has Tax until August.

The bad

It needs some body work, hence the 350 for the paint man, the engine, whislt sounds nice, did overheat after a while, the fan came on and the temp guage went up, I actually think all the problem is, is a stuck stat (Matt I guess its PRT, but where is it??). So maybe my new engine is going to be fixed up and sold on.

Oh, also the old owners nicked the stereo, so can some point me in the direction of the standard steroe, it has a sony CD multiplayer in the boot.

well happy with it, think the ZS might be pushed out of the door Laughing

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 21/3/2012, 6:02 am

Might be selling the JVC headunit that's currently in Smudge. It's a single CD unit with USB, Bluetooth and ful iPod/iPhone control. It's a current model and selling in Halfrauds for £129. And it lights up all blue and white! Got the manual, box, etc. and the remote when I can find it. Open to offers...

Red Face ... Sent from my abacus using wooden beads

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 21/3/2012, 6:05 am

Sounds great mate, I think the interior is much better in the ZT than the ZS and if my memory serves even at the time they didn't rate the handling much behind the ZS. The handling on mine isn't bad and it's max rolly polly spec!!!!!

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 21/3/2012, 6:26 am

Just reading the huge.history for the car and when it had its head gasket done it also had a modified cylinder head at 350 pounds, what could that mean, also can see its had a brand new inlet manifold.

The previous owners spent over 4 grand in the last 3 years on it

Rich, I need the stereo to work with zt steering controls
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 21/3/2012, 6:30 am

Adapter from fleabay, £15!

Red Face ... Sent from my abacus using wooden beads

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 21/3/2012, 6:37 am

Might be interested then
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on 21/3/2012, 8:31 am

Does the 1.8T have the same multispeed cooling fan as the V6?

It's very common for the fan to lose a speed or fail completely which makes the car overheat in heavy traffic or appear to run hot until the higher fan speed cuts in. It's not a cheap part but shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum