Southmids Sportsters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» 2017 MG Summer Meeting in the Dolomites
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime12/1/2017, 8:16 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Roadhalo
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime7/1/2017, 1:56 am by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux August Competition
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime16/9/2016, 10:16 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Adrian Flux Spring Forum Competition
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime1/4/2016, 7:52 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» 2016 MG Spring Meeting in the Dolomites
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime20/1/2016, 8:46 pm by chrisco59

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2015 Opening Hours
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime8/12/2015, 8:20 pm by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

» Sywell Pistons and Props - Details?
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime21/9/2015, 12:17 am by StevePem

» Autumn Weekender - September 12th & 13th 2015
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime25/8/2015, 3:22 am by Rich

» MGF20 - Anybody going?
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime25/7/2015, 3:24 am by StevePem

» October 2015 - Invitation to Mg’rs based in UK to join us in South Tyrol
Minor Coolant Loss I_icon_minitime11/7/2015, 7:46 am by chrisco59

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 275 on 8/4/2021, 5:19 am

Minor Coolant Loss

4 posters

Go down

Minor Coolant Loss Empty Minor Coolant Loss

Post  StevePem 17/10/2011, 10:18 pm

I am loosing a small quantity of coolant which is probably due to the expansion cap.

It is dripping down from the hose which runs from the expansion tank to the block so if it is not the cap, could be a small fault in the hose itself or maybe a leak where the hose joins the tank.

I will invest in a new cap anyway but will remove the tank from it's fixings so I can get to the hose and check it.

Anyone know what that particular hose is called (or part number) in case I do need to replace it?

Thinking about it, I guess I could put the ZS expansion cap on the TF and give it a run to see if I still loose coolant.
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Minor Coolant Loss Empty Re: Minor Coolant Loss

Post  Sambomonkee 18/10/2011, 12:27 am

If you do need the hose, don't buy one, my donor car has one, and you can have it off that.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 18/10/2011, 12:47 am

Lee, What's the spare coolant cap like in your collection of bits? Could you add it to my collection if possible. The one on TC is a tad too big for the cover flap thingie to sit properly!
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 18/10/2011, 12:51 am

I think its OK (the copper insert is in the right place), I have taken the header tank and cap from the F, as the TF's header tank was filthy, but I do think it was holding pressure. Anyway you can have it if you want.

Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 18/10/2011, 1:15 am

Sambomonkee wrote:If you do need the hose, don't buy one, my donor car has one, and you can have it off that.

OK, great thanks for that. I will have a good look at the weekend. In the meantime I will wrap a cloth around the tank neck/cap, if it is the cap that is blowing it will soak the cloth.

If the cloth stays dry, I will move downwards in my investigation!

Do you happen to have a door speaker cover going spare from your donor car? One of mine fell of due to the retaining studs breaking off. I drilled and screwed it from behind and because I had the Mike Satur alloy trims on, did not worry too much about damaging the black ring underneath.

Now I have taken the MS trims off to give to my son, I have two screw tips sticking out! Embarassed

Cheers
Steve
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 18/10/2011, 1:31 am

No sorry, those went today.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 18/10/2011, 1:36 am

Never mind, seems to be my luck just now!

I missed out on a walnut handbrake grip at Donnington yesterday! It had been sold between the show opening at 10:00 and me asking if they had one at around 11:15
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 18/10/2011, 1:55 am

Sambomonkee wrote:I think its OK (the copper insert is in the right place), I have taken the header tank and cap from the F, as the TF's header tank was filthy, but I do think it was holding pressure. Anyway you can have it if you want.
Excellent... Thanks mate!

StevePem wrote:Do you happen to have a door speaker cover going spare from your donor car? One of mine fell of due to the retaining studs breaking off. I drilled and screwed it from behind and because I had the Mike Satur alloy trims on, did not worry too much about damaging the black ring underneath.
Might be able to help you here Steve, depending on what door cards end up on Ollie. Watch this space... *)

It's a good thing that you removed the MS trim. It's a bad thing that Ed is having them! Laughing
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 18/10/2011, 2:15 am

Thanks Rich, that would be great - I am not in any hurry, it is not too noticable but I know the screws are there so want to replace it.

The MS covers will go nicely with the rest of Ed's trim.

Trying to get the metal down to a minimum now, hence looking for the walnut hadbrake grip.

The dial rings will stay of course, but I need to get rid of the rest. I may get a dark red leather off cut and use the alloy windscreen vent covers and mg dash badge as a template to cut out leather replacements.
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 18/10/2011, 3:29 am

StevePem wrote:Trying to get the metal down to a minimum now, hence looking for the walnut handbrake grip
I believe the best one to get is from a Freelander. It's a similar shape to an MGF/TF one and easy to fit.

There's a pic on one HERE and I thought it was this that was for sale but reading the text I think it's the console surround. Give the guy a call though as he may have one.
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 18/10/2011, 3:51 am

Funnily enough there are a few Freelander ones on ebay. I got one of the sellers to send me dimensions earlier today and was going to measure and compare tonight.

EDIT, just looked again, they were all Disco not Freelander ones, still could be same size though! I have the length and bore diameter so will check it out

Last edited by StevePem on 18/10/2011, 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong LR)
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich 18/10/2011, 3:59 am

Not sure the Defender one will. The Mk1 Freelander shared a surprisingly large amount of trim and electrical parts with MGs. You can see in that link in my last post some familiar window switches! The only item I recall the Mk1 Defender shared was the rear lights that were off a Maestro Van... Rolling Eyes
Rich
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 19/10/2011, 1:04 am

I found a Freelander one on ebay now so watching that.

The seller of the Discovery one came back to me with dimensions - 117mm length which is about the same as the TF but only 12mm diameter bore when the TF is c18 or 19mm - bit difficult to measure exactly as the end on my handbrake grip is chamferred
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem 19/10/2011, 1:07 am

And also - back on topic Laughing

I wrapped some paper towel around the expansion cap neck and was dry as a bone so it is either a small split somewhere in the hose or leaking where the hose connects to the expansion tank.

I keep forgetting to have a look when the engine is warmed up and still running!
StevePem
StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Ali 21/10/2011, 10:41 pm

Those with donor cars do you have any of those black plugging caps that go into the panel where the wipers run from just at the base of the windowcreen or those caps that insert in the screw holes for the side mirrors??

Miss Ali
Miss Ali

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 21/10/2011, 10:55 pm

Miss Ali wrote:Those with donor cars do you have any of those black plugging caps that go into the panel where the wipers run from just at the base of the windowcreen

Probably, but you may want to upload a photo so, I know exactly what to look at Smile

Miss Ali wrote:or those caps that insert in the screw holes for the side mirrors??

Again, I might have two, but I have to check to see if I need them in the TF, but will let you know.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Ali 22/10/2011, 6:26 am

Thanks Lee

Minor Coolant Loss Img_0312

Minor Coolant Loss Img_0313
Miss Ali
Miss Ali

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee 23/10/2011, 5:13 am

I have the windscreen wiper things, PM you address I will post one, but I don't have the mirror screw covers. You can get those on ebay for 2.40.
Sambomonkee
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down